Tommy Burns

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had the privilege to meet him many years ago when my Celtic mad cousin had been told he had terminal cancer when aged 16.

My cousin wanted a signed Celtic football for Christmas, so I wrote to Celtic explaining his plight and as a result both Tommy Burns and Roy Aitken turned up at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee to visit my cousin weighed down by Celtic merchandise. Roy Aitken stayed for an hour but left to go to another function. Tommy Burns decided to stay and at his own epxense would later make his own way home. He stayed for almost five hours and was genuinely moved by my cousin’s plight as well as other children in the cancer ward. He loved the fact that my cousin and I were the best of friends despite supporting the opposite sides of the old firm. To this day one of my most treasured possessions is a photo taken at the hospital with me in my rangers top and my cousin in his Celtic pyjamas with Tommy Burns sitting between us.

When my cousin passed away not only was their a floral tribute from the club there was one sent from Tommy Burns and his family.

He will be sadly missed

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tommy Burns was one of the few guys in living memory that could actually bridge the gap between the Old Firm. Ex Celtic Player/Manager. A classy midfielder that could thread the decisive defence splitting pass with a most cultured left foot since Jim Baxter. Not only a phenomenal player, but he will probably be better remenbered for the person that he was. Brimming with honesty, decency and integrity.
Truly respected by everyone in Scottish football and sadly missed.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Tommy Burns was a legend for both club and country, I'm not a Celtic fan myself but I know Tommy will be missed by all involved in Scottish football. I had the privelege of meeting Tommy on a couple of occasions and the passion he had for football was second to none.

Tommy was definately one of the good guys. He will be missed by all.

Been a terrible season for Scottish football, losing Phil O'Donnell and Tommy Burns.