Toe Weighted Irons

rdow1988

Visit site
Hi All,

Ive recently taken up golf and Last week the head of my 5 iron flew off mid shot so I decided to source a cheap replacement. I ended up purchasing a full set of second hand irons called "Precision Made, Toe Weighted, Mid Sized". They were advertised as Wilson but I cant see Wilson on them at all! Is Precision Made a brand??

Anyway, my question, Is going toe weighted without knowing what it means a bad idea? I used to be a hooker until I improved my stance with the help of pro, Im now more of a slicer (with regular divots before hitting the ball, causing low power shots).

I didnt realise that Toe Weighted was significant. Can anyone tell me what the likely result will be if I start using them?

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Weighting towards the toe is nothing new - but it's not defunct either. Ping uses this method to increase the MOI (moment of inertia) of their irons (as do many others). Basically put, the weight towards the toe offsets the mass created by the hosel design of most clubs where the shaft meets the head. This means increased forgiveness from the heel to toe area = larger 'sweetspot'. It has absolutely nothing to do with hinging the club face open or closed during the swing and it won't correct a hook or slice either. It is simply intended of increasing your chances of a decent strike if you hit the ball somewhere between it's extremities of the heel or toe.
Is that a good thing or bad thing? Well, if game improvement "experts" like Ping advocate it's use across their range of irons, then it's a pretty safe bet it's a worthwhile addition to a club.