Toe-ing irons off of a tee

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played a practice 9 yesterday and on the 2 par 3s that I played I toed bith my 6 and 7 irons off of a tee.
I then played a second ball each time without a tee and hit it very well (both shots without a tee found the green) so when I played today "for real" I didnt use a tee on the par 3s and resulted in +1 for the 4 of them played.
Anyone any idea what my issue with a tee is as I am setting up pretty much the same, or is that the problem?

I have also joined a local par 3 course to work on my short game and iron tee shots so any advice on what to start with is appreciated.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest that it was more like happenstance/coincidence.

Though if you tee it up more than a tiny amount, you might be swing, poorly, through it rather than 'hitting down' on it.

Tee on a Par 3 is simply to give 'perfect lie' for an iron shot, not to accomodate a different swing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Foxholer, I think you might be right that the tee may be too high and trying to swing through rather than down.
Its weird that without the tee the strike is fine. Will look at this tomorrow night.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest that it was more like happenstance/coincidence.

Though if you tee it up more than a tiny amount, you might be swing, poorly, through it rather than 'hitting down' on it.

Tee on a Par 3 is simply to give 'perfect lie' for an iron shot, not to accomodate a different swing.

:thup:

there's no discernable difference between my teed ball and a perfect lie with any club other than a driver - so there's no mechanical factors at play.

what's going on in my head is a different matter :)

but that's me - and if the OP was using a grey castle with his short irons previously then I can see it making a difference!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
:thup:

there's no discernable difference between my teed ball and a perfect lie with any club other than a driver - so there's no mechanical factors at play.

what's going on in my head is a different matter :)

but that's me - and if the OP was using a grey castle with his short irons previously then I can see it making a difference!

Castle tees are the work of the devil. I use broken tees for my iron shots. Maybe just not down enough.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Castle tees are the work of the devil. I use broken tees for my iron shots. Maybe just not down enough.

I can remember using yellow one for all shots - including irons - many years ago. May have 'improved' to blue ones after a while.

Probably a contributor to some of my issues/tendencies ever since, but it seemed to allow a better strike at the time.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lowered the tee on iron shots and problem appears resolved. 2 out of 2 good strikes and greens hit last night.
Could only have been 2 or 3mm too high but makes a big difference.

Now, just to sort out my mid iron approach shots that appears to have gone AWOL. :-D

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I find a high tee with irons encourages 'flipping'. I use broken tees and the ball sits on the tee but still touching the grass:thup:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Didn't realise their was such I dislike to castle tees:confused:
I use pink for driver & orange for 3wood.dont tend to use a tee for irons.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't realise their was such I dislike to castle tees:confused:
I use pink for driver & orange for 3wood.dont tend to use a tee for irons.

I think most is a lighthearted dislike. I personally dont find them helpful.
I never used to use a tee on par 3s but it was becoming a bit frowned upon so started a few months back, hence me not quite getting it right.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think most is a lighthearted dislike. I personally dont find them helpful.
I never used to use a tee on par 3s but it was becoming a bit frowned upon so started a few months back, hence me not quite getting it right.

I just find that using castle tees gives me something less to think about,also less to blame when it goes wrong.
Let them frown upon it mate,do what ever gives you the best results.