To fit or not to fit

Newforesthooker

Visit site
Hi, new to the forum so be gentle.
So basically I play with a draw naturally, always had standard set up clubs (5’11) I know height isn’t the only element we look at for lie angle.
But I got fit for my current irons, and since then I could not hit a fade to save myself, I play off 4 and have always been a decent enough iron player. Basically with my fitting I got a 2 degree upright lie angle (which since my mate a coach told me was a disaster for me 😂).
So what I’m saying is now I’m looking for a new set, I’ve lost confidence in the fitting process, do I go at it again or shall I go back to Ebay and research myself what I know I need and have used previously. Opinions are very very welcome

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I view a fitting session as an opportunity to try different combo's and see how the feel you get translates into numbers.

I'm new to the game and putting in alot of effort to improve my swing, so for me a custom fit one week would be different to another, but the right shaft or gapping should be far more consistent, depends what you're after of course. My money at the moment is being saved for a proper fit for this summer!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t your own irons be bent to standard?

Lie angle if to upright will put the heel in the ground first.
So no surprise about the fade.
I would go back to the fitter and ask him to check his recommendations are correct for you.

Use a sharpie pen draw a vertical line on the ball right where you strike it.
The ink will transfer to the clubface and should be vertical up the grooves.
Hit it before the ink dries a few is all you need to see the strike.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Clearly you're a talented player off that handicap and if you trust what some say on here and elsewhere, a fitting is only valid for someone in single figures who can present a repeatable swing. Where are you based? Plenty of good fitters across the UK and so I wouldn't dismiss the process totally. Where were you fitted originally

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Find a decent, ideally independent fitter rather than the clown you went to last time and get it done properly, take a second opinion if you have to, but dont write off custom fitting based on one bad experience!

PS Love the username!!! As someone who has moved down to that neck of the woods and sees the left hand side of the course far too often!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lie angle will depend on the manufacturer. They might have slightly different standards and similarly length might have a slight variation. Both factors need to taken in to consideration if you are going the DIY route.

The best way to check lie angle is with a lie board or some tape on the bottom of the club and hitting off what is definitely a flat lie. It is worth remembering that the club will flex towards you in the swing so a static lie should always be slightly toe up.

The club itself an also affect draw/fade. I remember once trying some Titleist irons (704s from memory) and could only get them to draw.

Newforesthooker

Visit site
I was fitted by someone I knew quite well and obviously trusted. Maybe a day when I had different posture, takeaway but I have been going mad. I got the jpx 900 tours with c taper tour x. Wasn’t overly sure about them but the dna shaft told me otherwise.
Either way it’s March and weeks away from perfect golf 😍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was fitted by someone I knew quite well and obviously trusted. Maybe a day when I had different posture, takeaway but I have been going mad. I got the jpx 900 tours with c taper tour x. Wasn’t overly sure about them but the dna shaft told me otherwise.
Either way it’s March and weeks away from perfect golf 😍
Mizuno are easily adjusted there’s no need to change them if it’s only the lie.