Tips on how to play out of thick, lush rough...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our course has very tight fairways on a number of holes so a good drive can easily run into the rough. The rough isn't long, spindly grass rather than a couple of inches high of very thick and lush grass. I really struggle to play out of it and feel it's as much to do with a doubt in my technique as much as not having Popeye-esque forearms!

Last week I finally nailed a few when I just gave it a bit more welly but is there more to it than that? Usual poor shot is greatly reduced in distance and/or pulled left as, I think, the clubhead gets turned closed by the grass snagging it.

So, any advice? Should I be trying to leave the face open a little to counter balance the face closing? Should I take more or less club or a hybrid where it's appropriate distance-wise?

Plan to practice this shot on Wednesday as the grass practice area is quite rough - also expect to find it on the course tomorrow and with the rain that is forecast it will be tougher than ever.

Thanks.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
got caught in some lush rough at birchys place yesterday. it wasn't very long. it just seemed thick and even my hybrids didn't cut through it all that well.

ah well, you go offline you take you punishment.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
got caught in some lush rough at birchys place yesterday. it wasn't very long. it just seemed thick and even my hybrids didn't cut through it all that well.

ah well, you go offline you take you punishment.

Sounds similar. I do think at our place though they have taken the narrow fairways too far and a good drive can be punished and that feels wrong. I can take it if I'm wayward but to nail it and then get there and find it found the area where the fairway is less than 20 paces wide and ran into the rough just seems too harsh.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From really thick rough I use the linear method. The only change is to grip it as tight as you can as its about getting the bounce to cut through the grass. Worked a treat from some juicy lies (courtesy of the rain and recent sun) at the weekend

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
From really thick rough I use the linear method. The only change is to grip it as tight as you can as its about getting the bounce to cut through the grass. Worked a treat from some juicy lies (courtesy of the rain and recent sun) at the weekend

Linear method? Hadn't thought to grip it tighter but makes absolute sense!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amanda for that grass you talk of.....What happens when you swing is the grass chokes the club just at impact and closes the face down which is causing the pull to the left...... Aim a little more right than you would usually and open the face of the club a few degrees.....Grip a little tighter than normal and place the ball a little further back than you would to promote a steeper swing......Pick the club up earlier in the backswing to help with the steeper swingplane......It sounds like a lot and you'll need to fiddle a little with how far right you'll need to aim but with a little practice you'll get it......

Oh one other point......Dont go for the high risk shot if your too far back....Just get an iron from 7 up and get it as far down the fairway as you need to for a comfortable next shot...... It helps when you have shorter irons with this shot.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amanda for that grass you talk of.....What happens when you swing is the grass chokes the club just at impact and closes the face down which is causing the pull to the left...... Aim a little more right than you would usually and open the face of the club a few degrees.....Grip a little tighter than normal and place the ball a little further back than you would to promote a steeper swing......Pick the club up earlier in the backswing to help with the steeper swingplane......It sounds like a lot and you'll need to fiddle a little with how far right you'll need to aim but with a little practice you'll get it......

Oh one other point......Dont go for the high risk shot if your too far back....Just get an iron from 7 up and get it as far down the fairway as you need to for a comfortable next shot...... It helps when you have shorter irons with this shot.....

Excellent - thanks Kid. Plenty of time set aside on Wed to work though this and find the technique and limits of it shot-wise. Will give it a go - thanks again :) :cheers:

Homer - will check out that video too :thup:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Excellent - thanks Kid. Plenty of time set aside on Wed to work though this and find the technique and limits of it shot-wise. Will give it a go - thanks again :) :cheers:

Homer - will check out that video too :thup:

Your very welcome :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
2 or 3 weeks ago, rough was quite spindly but a bit of warmth and it really shot up and thickened - enough that it was difficult to find balls for a couple of days!

Very tough to get out of this sort of cack. It was certainly the reason I went from blades to CBs when that happened as an 8-iron was the most I could use to get a decent strike the ball.

Ladies often have a particular problem as there is often a lot of floppy wristed early released swings. A solid left wrist throughout the swing is required. Grass will still bind around the hosel and tend to pull face left. Allowing for this can be dangerous as too open a face could mean that you simply advance the ball further along the same junk! Most importantly, imo, you should be realistic with your expectations of what you can achieve from that lie. Back onto the fairway can often be sufficient.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I follow a few simple rules when in thick rough. Take a club with enough loft that gives you the best chance to get out of it. Put it in the back of my stance, grip down and punch it out. I just concentrate on getting a good contact rather than making a hard swing like I see people trying.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Amanda, havent read through all the replies so apologies if this has already been said (I'll be shocked if it hasn't as its the main way to get out every time)

Key is getting out! not hitting it to the pin or hitting it 150 yds down the fairway, it's getting out onto short stuff, that's the primary goal.

The grass actually wraps around the shaft and twists the head closed, so open the face approx 30*, grip tightly, break wrists quickly in the back swing and chop down on the ball- forget about beautiful balanced swing finishes- and the ball will pop out straight probably 99 times out of 100.
I don't think I've ever not got the ball out with that method even in grass past my knees (face open approx 45* for that stuff though)

*edit* re-read your op and its only a few inch high lush grass:smirk: take 1 more club, still break wrists early, grip tighter, ball in middle of stance and feel like you want to fade the shot to help promote a steeper AoA:thup:

Last edited:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
For rough taller than ball height, I would stand a little closer and play my normal swing but aim a little right as I still get a little draw and the ball still travels. If the rough is really thick, well, Dirty Harry said it best.
[video=youtube_share;_VrFV5r8cs0]http://youtu.be/_VrFV5r8cs0[/video]

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys. Had a better go at it today and was sensible if it was really settled down. It has focussed my attention to making sure my line off the tee has the best chance of finding the short stuff as just running into the rough is very easily done.

So...grip down and a bit harder, open face a tad, aim slightly right, steeper angle of attack and don't try to be a hero, bearing in mind my limitations - got it :cool:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the lie's not good enough to get to the green comfortably make sure you get the damn thing back on the fairway & the worst score that comes from being in the rough is a bogey!