Three off the Tee

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was told of an incident today that I think tops any rules myth that has ever been discussed and if I'm honest, I'm still a little bit stunned by it.

The story goes like this;

The guy who told me about it tee'd off on the 2nd and hit his ball OOB so he reloaded. His second shot went into some heather from where he hacked out, chipped onto the green and one putted for a 6 but his marker insisted it was a 7. The guy went through the hole with him, three off the tee, hack out, chip and putt - 6 shots for a point. His marker then tells him that three off the tee means you are actually playing your 4th shot, (the one you hit, plus 3 off the tee makes 4) and by all accounts had the guy not pacified the situation but saying they would clear it up at the end it could have gotten quite heated as the marker was so adamant he was right.

I'm not sure whether I'm more shocked by the interpretation or the fact that the marker had been a member of Blackmoor for 30 years. I can't imagine the number of shots he's done himself out of over the years.

G

guest100718

When my friend was playing a round for handicap, one PP insisted that for going in the water it was 1 shot in + a penalty shot, plus the drop so you'd be playing 4.....

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never had anyone tell me that, but I have had instances of playing partners trying to impose two shot penalties where the rules state 1 shot. I even had to get the rule book out to prove him wrong! :rolleyes:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Well indeed, it's hard to believe in 30 years, no one has put him right until today.

Possibly because as you stated, he gets very heated and is adamant he's right, as such some just roll over rather than have the confrontation! God knows how many cards have been signed incorrectly!