Thoughts on releasing the golf club?

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to know what everyones thoughts are on how they are releasing the club through impact. Im having some success the image of hammering a nail sideways swing thought.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
By 'releasing' I pressume you mean getting the club back to the ball pointing in the direction you want the ball to go.
I'd say if the grip is good and the swing is ok, it should happen naturally.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to know what everyones thoughts are on how they are releasing the club through impact. Im having some success the image of hammering a nail sideways swing thought.

The trick isn't only to hammer the nail... it's to break the piece of wood afterwards!... gotta keep turning!

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the confusing thing is ive read up alot on different releases such as a body release, roll release, block release etc. I know people say it should happen naturally but with certain techniques i feel as if im compressing the ball alot more.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Release happens after the ball as both your arms achieve their full extension, ie: straight.

Funny you should mention this. I was at the range today (no RG - really?) and there was some geezer doing about 20 swings with his driver clipping the tee before hitting an actual ball. I couldn't help but notice as soon as he clipped the tee, he would bend both his arms as if he was avoiding the invisible electric fence in front of the bay.

?? Why?

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site

I had a lesson the other week and for the first time ever felt the club release...............

It was not something i did on a conscious level it just happened and the ball shape was a nice draw!...once you "feel" it you will know....

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I agree with this. I dont ever think about releasing the club as its one more thing to think about. I generally warm up with a release drill followed by some upside down club swings and listen for the whoosh through impact. Thats my release position set without having to think about it during the swing.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
By 'releasing' I pressume you mean getting the club back to the ball pointing in the direction you want the ball to go.

+1. It take a millisecond to happen. Far faster than you can think about it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When it comes to this, I'm a little strange :mad:

I unhinge my wrists through impact, but my forearms do not start to turn over until I'm past half way through my follow through.

Impact:

STWedge180412001780.jpg

Past half way:

STWedge180412001785.jpg

I think people get confused when they say release. Do they mean roll or unhinge?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The legs, core, arms and shoulders are the key players in the swing. To a large extent, the wrists are just passengers and move as a result of the forces created by those other elements (there are exceptions I know).

Look at it the other way. Swinging a golf club without the wrists cocking on the backswing and releasing on the downswing is virtually impossible.

Getting "handsy" is a distraction from the more important big moves IMO. As others have said, just let it happen, and that's one less swing thought to worry about.

The only time I worry about the extent of release is if my backswing gets too long and leads to too much wrist break, which makes it hard for the club to get back to square at impact. But again, the cure is not to consciously move the wirsts more into impact, it's to shorten the swing which quietens down the wrist break.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So what is this "Release" all about then. It seems that people have many different ideas on what the 'release' should be.

Why the confusion then? Is there such an action that can be specified as the release. If you read golf books, mags, watch videos you will see lots of different ideas on where and how the club is released. I guess to release something is to let it go, we don't actually let go of the club so are we talking of a moment in time during the swing or a set of actions that take place that can be bundled together and called 'Release'

Maybe it's time this 'Release' was let out the closet and shown up to all what it actually is, whether it be the 'golden bullet' of golf that is that special ingredient that will suddenly transform hackers into scratch players, or, just another myth that like the 'Emperors Suit of Clothes' , if you cant see it then you are a fool, a person that id destined to sit on the lower tiers of the golfing hierarchy of attainment.

OR'

Maybe its just the bit where you hit the ball. :thup:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Maybe it's time this 'Release' was let out the closet and shown up to all what it actually is, whether it be the 'golden bullet' of golf that is that special ingredient that will suddenly transform hackers into scratch players, or, just another myth that like the 'Emperors Suit of Clothes' , if you cant see it then you are a fool, a person that id destined to sit on the lower tiers of the golfing hierarchy of attainment.

OR'

Maybe its just the bit where you hit the ball. :thup:

I would define the release as similar to a punch in boxing... you don't stop your punch when it lands... on the contrary, that's when you 'hit through' as much as you can, imagining if you will that you're punching the BACK of the head, not the face, so the punch 'releases' until the right arm is fully straight and the shoulders have turned as much as possible 'into' the punch before you then withdraw your arm into the 'finish'.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would define the release as similar to a punch in boxing... you don't stop your punch when it lands... on the contrary, that's when you 'hit through' as much as you can, imagining if you will that you're punching the BACK of the head, not the face, so the punch 'releases' until the right arm is fully straight and the shoulders have turned as much as possible 'into' the punch before you then withdraw your arm into the 'finish'.

Struth James. Maybe you could use your analogy of the release on some of these OBFL people. It may give them a different perspective on the subject :eek: