@ those who played from junior level

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was down to 4 at 16. Off 13.4 now. Stopped playing from 8-10 years completely, a couple of serious illnesses and injuries didn't help when I took it up again. Still believe I can get to single figures and even if I don't I enjoy the challenge of working on my game and trying to be as good as I can be. My mind set this year is to actually play as a kid with no baggage and simply hit it and find and don't get worried about mistakes. Chip and putt for fun and see what happens

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I started playing golf when I was 15 years old so had a few years playing as a junior golfer. I got my first handicap of 36 & in the first season I went from 36 to 28 handicap, the following year I lived & breathed golf I would play after school & during the weekends & summer holidays I would go to the golf club at 9am & not return until it went dark. That second season I came down from 28 to 9, I didn't have the greatest swing back then but it was functional & it was my putting/short game that made my scores. My final year as a junior I came down a further 2 shots to 7 without having any coaching.
I started having lessons in my twenties & have recently started having them again & I'm currently playing off 2.7 with hopes of this getting closer to scratch this year.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Got down to 5 at 16yo.
Did not play much in my 20s.
Got to 2.8 in my early 40s. That was my lowest ever handicap, until...
Lowest ever was last year - 2.3 at one point. Still meant off 3 at home club.
3.0 now. Early 60s.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Started when I was about 12, and was crap - nothing has changed there.
Thankfully, I haven't passed my golfing DNA on to my son, who is already a better player than I will ever be - and he's just turned 12.

Springveldt

Visit site
Lowest I got down to was 11 when I was 14/15. Didn’t really play for the next 25 years just the odd round here and there.

Got an official handicap of 15 when I took the game up again after getting a bunch of lessons before handing in cards. Current index is 5.4 in my mid 40’s now but I think I can cut another shot off of that this year. I make at least 3 stupid mistakes per round, just need to cut that to 2.