This game is doing my head in !!!!

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Just been checking my stats on HDID, since my last handicap cut in June of last year I have played in 32 qualifying events, 22 of those have seen a 0.1 rise and 10 buffers, as a result I've gone from 9.9 to 12.1.

Confidence is shot to pieces when I'm on the course but I feel good in warm up and practicing, I reckon a 2 or 3 week break from competitive golf may be in the offing, time to re-group and get my head together.

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
Just been checking my stats on HDID, since my last handicap cut in June of last year I have played in 32 qualifying events, 22 of those have seen a 0.1 rise and 10 buffers, as a result I've gone from 9.9 to 12.1.

Confidence is shot to pieces when I'm on the course but I feel good in warm up and practicing, I reckon a 2 or 3 week break from competitive golf may be in the offing, time to re-group and get my head together.

I feel your pain, but the minute the pressure is put on yourself is the time it starts to go wrong! Going from 16 to 11 is a big move. If I were you, I would keep playing competitively, but set small goals within the round, rather than thinking about scores. 8 GIR - 10 2 putts etc etc.

SRL

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
literally just posted the same thing! I've gone to 9.5 this year and its annoying because I'm a good player just blow up 3/4 random holes a round!

I'm taking a break and going to get a few lessons and programme sorted so I can really improve.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As i posted in the other Thread, if you are having problem playing in comps, not playing in them isn't going to help unless its to work on something specific that's costing you the shots, like driving or putting for instance.

do you blow up on certain holes?

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, but the minute the pressure is put on yourself is the time it starts to go wrong! Going from 16 to 11 is a big move. If I were you, I would keep playing competitively, but set small goals within the round, rather than thinking about scores. 8 GIR - 10 2 putts etc etc.

SRL

Good advice, I did use to play off 7 a few years back so I know I'm capable, had a 5 year break from the game due to a bad back and other things so only really started playing again 3 1/2 years ago. Target is to get back down to a single figure but may need to re-evaluate that in the short term.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
As i posted in the other Thread, if you are having problem playing in comps, not playing in them isn't going to help unless its to work on something specific that's costing you the shots, like driving or putting for instance.

do you blow up on certain holes?

Your probably right, the only way to gain confidence is to keep playing and rely on the knowledge that I can shoot a good score. Biggest problem at the moment is off the tee, far too often I'm putting myself in positions where I have to scramble for par / bogey, eventually it takes it's toll and I'll run up a treble or quad, inevitably I'll try too hard to get it back and things go from bad to worse.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Your probably right, the only way to gain confidence is to keep playing and rely on the knowledge that I can shoot a good score. Biggest problem at the moment is off the tee, far too often I'm putting myself in positions where I have to scramble for par / bogey, eventually it takes it's toll and I'll run up a treble or quad, inevitably I'll try too hard to get it back and things go from bad to worse.

just looked at the scorecard for you club, not long, but being parkland prob not much run. is there anything else you can hit off the tee? i'm guessing its the driver thats the problem?

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just keep going and trying 100%. Over 3 years I've seen my handicap go from 5.0 to 9.8. This year I've managed to get down to 8.6 after hours and hours of practice and play time. Just keep it going and it will come ☺

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
just looked at the scorecard for you club, not long, but being parkland prob not much run. is there anything else you can hit off the tee? i'm guessing its the driver thats the problem?

Yep driver is an issue, looking to replace at the moment. My natural shot is a draw, been hitting a lot of fades / huge slices recently (with all clubs) this has me totally baffled :confused::confused:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yep driver is an issue, looking to replace at the moment. My natural shot is a draw, been hitting a lot of fades / huge slices recently (with all clubs) this has me totally baffled :confused::confused:

probably not turning and is a just arms swing... or shagging the goat.. which is sliding the hips. do you get a few pulls as well?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
why not just forget the competitions. my handicap went inactive at 12 and i am currently going round in 4 to 6 over ever round. i sometimes struggle to understand peoples drive to be competitive and play is tons of comps.

it sounds weird but when i play golf i feel like I'm playing against myself.

D

Deleted member 21258

i sometimes struggle to understand peoples drive to be competitive and play is tons of comps.

it sounds weird but when i play golf i feel like I'm playing against myself.

Agree with that completely.

That's why I love the society golf, forum days and social golf so much, I view it more about relaxing and fun and don't care about scoring.

Handicap just follows how you play, so why worry about a number.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally understand. Had a major "head off" last week and bust my 4 iron in the process. Had played nicely all round then hit the same dreadful shot twice in a three shots. The one in the middle of the two was an absolutely perfectly drawn 3 wood. I just lost it......I can play to single figures, but trying to get into comps is proving to be a nightmare at our club, (comp open at 12pm for booking, by 12:05 they are full..) so I am thinking just let the handicap go, it will go where it goes and just try and enjoy social/casual golf with the odd comp thrown in where possible.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a tiny 0.3 cut recently but other than that HDID is blighted over the last few years with 0.1's. I can be going along nicely and looking at a cut or buffer and then chuck two or three horror shows in from nowhere. So frustrating. I'm not letting it affect me and will still get to single figures but it's annoying when you've been working hard, can see progress in practice and can't do it on the course, for all 18 holes