Thinking of changing my putter

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
Watching the Scottish Open last night, and seeing how many players were using Odyssey putters was an eye opener. I used a 2 ball over 10 years ago, loved how easy it was to lineup, didn't like the face of the putter, very little feeling off it. Have the inserts changed make since then, i am thinking of buying a No 7 X thingy, i think it has a stronger face. I really would like to hear what you guys think.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Dont forget, the tour players putt on greens that vary from fast to very fast every week.
Just because they use a certain type of putter, doen't mean you should too

munro007

Tour Rookie
I think i need to try some, i might like, i might not. I really like the face of my Radius putter, its a really positive feeling. If you don't hit it right, its not going to go. I don't like putter that ping off the face.

munro007

Tour Rookie
I don't understand why this got moved into here. :confused:

I wasn't asking the expert, i was asking the forum on their experience etc of Odyssey putters, and have they changed etc. Whats the score Mods :confused:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Good idea to change your putter, pick something that you can take out in daylight this time ;)

:rofl:

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When i buy a putter i play with it instore then take it home and compare it against the performance of mine for a couple of days. If its not better i take it back.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why this got moved into here. :confused:

I wasn't asking the expert, i was asking the forum on their experience etc of Odyssey putters, and have they changed etc. Whats the score Mods :confused:

You asked a specific question relating to equipment so it got moved to the ask the experts section. If you read the description of this section it will become a bit clearer.

GeeTee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
HTML:

I have a metal X 1 putter and love it , being a lefty its not easy for me to try loads but next time i reckon id get professionaly fitted for one

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
White Hot Tour - bronzy finish..
Has a firmer face insert than the normal Odysseys.
GMac and Ernie have both used them on tour.
Love the feel and roll from my No.7 - well worth checking out..

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Odyssey clearly make good putters, but so do Cameron, Ping, Yes, RifeSeemore and a bunch of other manufacturers. Don't be too swayed by Tour use though. None of these are going to pay you to use their putter nor customise and bling it to your exact specs.

There are also a number if great putter skiers who don't pay Pros to use their kit and hence hardly ever get seen.

If you are putting well you have the right putter. If you are not putting well get a putting lesson which includes an assessment of how suitable your current putter is. If it isn't suitable test a number and choose the one that works best.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why this got moved into here.

Everyone has their own opinion on where posts should go, most moderators have an idea of how they want the forum to be organised. It is never a personal attack on someone when they move a post, its just their opinion of where it should be "to get the best response possible".

Post where you thing a post fits best, if it gets moved its not you at fault, its the moderator helping you!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to know what type of putting swing you have.
Knowing the arc of your swing will help you to buy the right putter first time rather than blaming a putter for your woes.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I've never got away with odyssey putters but have tried a wide variety with different inserts.

Only way to really tell would be to choose a putter type and find somewhere that stocks them with a range of inserts. I did find the white tour faces the firmest but never got a chance to try a blade style putter like the 001 with one

munro007

Tour Rookie
I have had Scotty Cameron's, Odyssey, i am using a Radius just now. Like i have said, i really like my Radius, i don't want to be missing out in something if Odyssey have improved. Like i have already said, my old 2 ball was great apart from very little feeling off the face. I will see what they are like, its not as if they cost £250. Thx again guys, and chris for clearing up some of my questions. :thup:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are putting well you have the right putter. If you are not putting well get a putting lesson which includes an assessment of how suitable your current putter is.

I can only agree with this. It was a while back, but I went for a £35 putting fitting/lesson and it was the best money I ever spent.

I found a Yes! golf trained fitter (it's probably just a course for a qualified PGA pro), but I guess a good Pro you trust and is "into" putters and putting will offer advice to you.

We talked, he watched me putt, I learned some *incredible* stuff that day. On top of the £35, I paid £8.99 for a new grip to go on a putter that came out of the shop 1 inch shorter and more upright. :)

Never looked back. I go all gooey and shiny-obsessed when I look at new putters, but have not been tempted (other than a short and costly foray back into blade territory!)

I find it depressing to see so many of my club pals, team members, scratch team players, pairs partners etc. all changing their putter from one season to the next. The only way to avoid it, i.m.o. is to take the plunge and get done by the putting doc.

:)

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its the PLAYER not the PUTTER thats the problem in golf.I have only ever used 2 putters and only got rid of my Oddyssey 1) for money reasons 2) decided to stick with only using the same putter all the time so kept my Ping Anser 2.So as people have said get a lesson or stick with what you have got and practice practice pratice with it...failing that golfers should just accept putting can be a weak part of your game.