thinking of changing my line up to 12 clubs

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm seriously considering changing my line up as always.
Thinking of going Driver, 19 degree hybrid, 4-PW and changing my wedges to 50/56 vokeys.
My 3 wood probably cost me 6 shots last time out and the time before,can't get on with them off the deck and at my course there is only 1 hole where I need to hit it off the tee really (long par 3) and I'm sure if I hit the hybrid out of the screws it would get there.
Never use the lob wedge and the gap wegde rarely gets an outing,plus the G20 wedges are great but not very versatile,you cant open them up in a bunker or flop them,they are great for beginners but I think I'm at the stage where I want more versatility.
Anyone else carry less than 14?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only have 12 in my bag and I dont use 3 or them in comps. One dayI will, if I can learn to use them with any consistancy.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
mine varies between 12 & 14. Tomorrow for example I am ditching my jaws wedges and going back to my g10 lw & sw, also dropping my 4 iron as never use it, may aswell limit my club choice as at my level its one less temptation to try something above my skill level (or lack of) :)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it's the temptation which got me into trouble in the first place, 3 wood off the deck in a silly position,sunday best required and totally messed it up 3 times. The wedges I think are a natural progression.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would always choose to have more so I dont have to push a club too hard. With practice a 3 wood off the deck can be a good shot.

If there is no harm in carrying them (back ache etc) then why not? 3 woods off the tee can be great for positional play on long par 4s if you are not going for them in two.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After a fair bit of tinkering with 3woods followed by some good practice I am now more than happy to reach for it off the deck. Stick with it as its a great option to have plus a good bail out club when driver is struggling

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
do you want to carry some for me. wish i was allowed more than 14. i have dropped my lob wedge these last few days of high winds and rain to put in the 3 iron. apart from that i got back to my usual set up. 3wood is back in instead of the 4 wood.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May stick with the top end of the bag for now then and get some serious 3 wood practice in.
May get rid of the G20 sand wedge and get a vokey/588/md/tour s/jaws instead then (needs to be 2 deg flat though)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the back of your recommendations to stick with the 3w can you lot recomend me a good sand wedge,needs to be bendable to around 3 degrees flat and don't want to break the bank.must be able to open up the face to play delicate ones round the green,so ideally 56 degrees loft.Plenty of bite as well please.
Going to keep the G20 Sand and Lob wedges in the garage just in case though,so guess it's going to be 13 clubs for me as I really don't need/use a lob wedge.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any of the forged wedges would be ok. Safer to bend than cast. Must admit I am a fan of the "Cleveland CG15". You should be able to pick one up for under £50 new.

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gave my 3 wood to my mate told him not to give me it back, trying to force myself to lay up on par 5s and stop wracking up 8s by trying to play shots i probably only get right 1 out of 5, Time will tell if it works.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
13 in my bag - still waiting to work out what no 14 should be!
The big stick, 3, 5 and 7 wood, 5- SW, gap wedge and putter

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used custom pro before for a seve pedrena and did like it,thinking I may try the Ping Eye 2 xg out as well as I seem to recall the original eye 2 wedges being great out of bunkers.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always carry 14.

I have my bag set up to play my home course effectively (For list, see sig).

I agree with BS on this as regards to pro's carrying 14 for a reason.