The right arm takeaway

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys, i'm a high handicapper and have been struggling with my backswing. I stumbled across a post which talked about using a right arm takeaway as opposed to the traditional one piece that I have seen on TV analysis numerous times, youtube and also read about in Ben Hogan's book). I'll link to the article below.

I was wondering if this takeaway variant made sense to any low handicappers on here and whether I should try and use this - leading with the right arm and squeezing the bicep? Was planning on testing this out when I go to the range later in the week. Thanks for any help :)

Link to that article on right arm takeaway: http://www.thediygolfer.com/golf-swing-takeaway/

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
tbh all that's not really necessary the squeezing the bicep etc

easy for me to say I get - but in truth the takeback (takeaway) to backswing is a deal simpler - 2 hands on the handle arms connected to shoulders - so from the get-go back from the ball the hands pretty much do nothing extra they just need to be pretty relaxed not sloppy just not squeezing the life out of the handle

the as takeback starts the arms move as the shoulders & chest rotates the hands do noting much for the first 12" to 18" of the club heads travel as you want the club face to stay 'looking' at the ball - that's real important - a lot folks get in trouble straight off because the lead hand rolls over the trail hand to point the clubhead behind the heel line & the butt of the club over the other side of the ball when the shaft is first horizontal to the ground

as long as the set-up shoulders hips feet are all parallel to the ball/target line and at set up the elbows point to the hips (left elbow to left hip right elbow to right hip) if you just make that turn rotation shoulders chest with connected arms keeping the right elbow pointing at the right hip the club face looking at the ball

- should find when the shaft is around horizontal to ground (in fact the clubhead will be a tad higher thane the handle but roughly shaft horizontal ground)

should find also & this real important the shaft will also be parallel to the foot line & the ball/target line with the butt end of the handle point out into the fairway parallel to target line the leading edge of the clubhead will also approx match the spine angle when looked at from dtl assuming you not come out of your set-up posture as you rotated

- imagine in the backswing when viewed from dtl viewpoint (down the line looking to target direction) the shoulder line (line drawn over top shoulders) has remained at 90º to the spine angle

- so if you drew a line up the spine & a line across the top of the shoulders at the top of the backswing you would see a slightly angled T shape because we lean forwards with the upper body from the hip sockets

[video=youtube;5dZeXG16-aM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dZeXG16-aM[/video]

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had a very quick skim through that that article the author is not advocating a one handed take away and does go on to explain what the problems with it can be.

They are explaining the differences if you are one hand dominant.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having had a very quick skim through that that article the author is not advocating a one handed take away and does go on to explain what the problems with it can be.

They are explaining the differences if you are one hand dominant.

Hi jim8flog the author says that the right arm takeaway is 'much more preferable' than using the left arm and also that 'Bio-mechanically, there is no clear advantage of using the one-piece takeaway vs. the right arm takeaway.' He provides caution against using both the right and one piece takeaway approaches.