The Oxfordshire

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I've got a good stay and play deal for Sunday night at The Oxfordshire.

Anyone have any reviews, hints and tips for some of the holes?

There's 6 of us going, split teams into 3s - any good ideas for a format? At the moment we are thinking best 2 scores per hole stableford.

Also, potentially looking at playing another course on the way home on Monday afternoon - any recommendations on good courses south of the venue on the M40?

Thanks in advance!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
17th is a cracker, one of my fav ever holes. Rick reward par 5 where you can go for the green in 2, but you have to carry a lake. Also there is a par 4 (12 ish?) with an almost island green that you can go for in 1! I have never made it, but always try!

My gaff at newbury will be on your way back and the course is in great nick! There is a 4 ball comp on with tee blocked from 9-10, but mondays are typically quiet!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
17th is a cracker, one of my fav ever holes. Rick reward par 5 where you can go for the green in 2, but you have to carry a lake. Also there is a par 4 (12 ish?) with an almost island green that you can go for in 1! I have never made it, but always try!

My gaff at newbury will be on your way back and the course is in great nick! There is a 4 ball comp on with tee blocked from 9-10, but mondays are typically quiet!

My choices on those holes are a lay up to the left on the par 4, and play to the opposite fairway to the pin position on the 17th. ie if it's a right pin, go for the left fairway and vice versa.

D

Deleted member 15344

Im not a fan of the golf course tbh - it looks very tired these days

Some cracking holes though and the Par 4 with the island green is a good hole

It seems a bit like Forest of Arden - resting a bit on past glories

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I found it a slog, most tired I've ever felt after a round, not a course I'd rush back to.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's OK and I agree with LP in that it perhaps isn't as good as it was 5 years or so ago. The greens weren't great last time I played it and it's always exposed to any wind that blows which can make club selection a challenge. That said, as a venue on a good deal with some mates it's a decent place to play. Just don't expect too much from it. As LP says it's somewhat living off past glories

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Two from three not bad for Stableford, but I would have everyone scores on the last. Did it on the golf day I arranged for lads at the pit when it shut and everyone agreed it was a good idea. Keeps it going to the last putt.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys.

We're not really looking for an expensive course that would blow us away, it's our first trip away since we all took up this game about a year ago, so looks great for us- some of the holes are extremely different to what we're used to!

Rooter - thanks for the recommendation - most of the guys come from South London though so was looking for something around Maidenhead ideally.

Tashy - like that idea - may also do the same for the signature 17th to keep things interesting at the back end!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a course called Wycombe Heights a little while ago and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

It's not far off from the right area for you if you can't find somewhere you prefer.

Another decent course is Castle Royle, but I haven't actually played it for about 15 years so things might have changed. I'm also not sure how accessible it is as I played with a member - I suspect it might be tricky to get on.

I have a friend that lives in Slough and have just asked him what he'd recommend in that area, he says:

- Goring & Streatley
- Reading Golf Club
- Ascot
- Mill Ride

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys.

We're not really looking for an expensive course that would blow us away, it's our first trip away since we all took up this game about a year ago, so looks great for us- some of the holes are extremely different to what we're used to!

Rooter - thanks for the recommendation - most of the guys come from South London though so was looking for something around Maidenhead ideally.

Tashy - like that idea - may also do the same for the signature 17th to keep things interesting at the back end!

Its a great golf course, most people that knock it are traditionalists (which is fine) who dont like new 'big' courses. you'll have a great time and its always in good condition.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Burnham Beeches is a lovely course. Just east of Maidenhead and north of Slough. Only about 5-10 mins from the M4