The Open Final Qualifying

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Now, I can remember enjoying - and scoring well on a couple of times - St Anne's Old Links, but 9 under to qualify? WTF?

Wasn't much different at Princes either -8 was the 'poorest' qualifying score!

Slightly different at Fairmont (wind?) and Notts Hollinwell (unknown to me) but there seems to be some seriously great scores about!

Shame to see David Howell miss out (though the commentary team will benefit imo!) and some notable 'WD's' - Southgate and Horsfield.

Wolf

Visit site
Now, I can remember enjoying - and scoring well on - St Anne's Old Links, but 9 under to qualify? WTF?

Slightly different at Fairmont (wind?) and Notts Hollinwell (unknown to me) but there seems to be some seriously great scores about!

Shame to see David Howell miss out (though the commentary team will benefit imo!) and some notable 'WD's' - Southgate and Horsfield.
I'm assuming the weather behaved nicely for them at Princes. As I saw some pics of the set up in the days running up to it that friends had posted that were either playing or attending. The set up looked to be tough and if the wind had been up would play tough to , but if they had calm conditions, kept it in play off the tee then the scores were definitely there to be had..

Visit site
Now, I can remember enjoying - and scoring well on a couple of times - St Anne's Old Links, but 9 under to qualify? WTF?

Agree about David Howell - he comes across as well balanced, thoughtful and generally a good guy so was wishing him well

Hopefully they use him for the Open

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice to see Jack Senior get through, his brother coaches at one of the driving ranges I go to, and he was coached by and played at Heysham just down the road from Lancaster. -10 is some serious scoring over 2 rounds at St Anne's. Had a really good amateur career Jack, played in the Walker Cup and famously knocked JT and Spieth out of the US Am at Erin Hills. Hope he manages to kick on and make it big!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was very windy at St Anne’s yesterday so good scoring although course is very short for these boys plus 3 of the par 5’s were straight downwind so drive and wedge stuff.

Hitdaball

Visit site
Agree about David Howell - he comes across as well balanced, thoughtful and generally a good guy so was wishing him well

Hopefully they use him for the Open

I played at the David Howell 4ball event at the Grove last year. He was a nice fella. We each had one mulligan which he could take for us - mine he chipped from about 20yards and left me 15ft , I stuck it to 3foot on my attempt 😆. But yes really nice fella.

I went to Notts last year to watch for a while as it’s only 5mins away and it’s free 👍🏻😀

D

Deleted member 1147

I was at Notts yesterday.
It was windy and bone dry. So if it started going off line, it kept on going!
The greens were very hard as well. I didn’t see many approaches get close. So it was largely about avoiding trouble & therefore bogies, and trying to steal the odd shot by holing a good putt here and there.

Hitdaball

Visit site
I was at Notts yesterday.
It was windy and bone dry. So if it started going off line, it kept on going!
The greens were very hard as well. I didn’t see many approaches get close. So it was largely about avoiding trouble & therefore bogies, and trying to steal the odd shot by holing a good putt here and there.

And you are also describing my home club Coxmoor 2 mins up the road 😆

Visit site
Nice to see Jack Senior get through, his brother coaches at one of the driving ranges I go to, and he was coached by and played at Heysham just down the road from Lancaster. -10 is some serious scoring over 2 rounds at St Anne's. Had a really good amateur career Jack, played in the Walker Cup and famously knocked JT and Spieth out of the US Am at Erin Hills. Hope he manages to kick on and make it big!

It shows how fine the margins may be and how golfers mature or kick-on in early 20's etc

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Surprised we needed a second thread on this topic considering the other thread is still on the first page.