The Open 2021 - Visiting

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm almost certain there is an old thread somewhere with all the info I need however despite searching I cannot find it!!

I am off to the Open in a few week's time, first time I have visited the course and whilst I know it is a bit of a nightmare in terms of travelling to/from the locatl area I was hoping to get some tips/pointers from anyone who has been there?

TIA

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sandwich is the nearest train station, and they ran buses from there last time, but TBH it is quicker walking.
they did have parking in the fields near by but getting in and out is a nightmare as it's narrow lanes.
I'll have a look at the website and get back to you, but it may be worth parking at a bother station and then getting the train in and walking to the course.
I was lucky as my wife works at a nearby firm so I parked there and walked.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sandwich is the nearest train station, and they ran buses from there last time, but TBH it is quicker walking.
they did have parking in the fields near by but getting in and out is a nightmare as it's narrow lanes.
I'll have a look at the website and get back to you, but it may be worth parking at a bother station and then getting the train in and walking to the course.
I was lucky as my wife works at a nearby firm so I parked there and walked.

That's great, thanks for the info

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm almost certain there is an old thread somewhere with all the info I need however despite searching I cannot find it!!

I am off to the Open in a few week's time, first time I have visited the course and whilst I know it is a bit of a nightmare in terms of travelling to/from the locatl area I was hoping to get some tips/pointers from anyone who has been there?

TIA

Not even sure they have told anyone, officially, with a ticket that they can actually go yet!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I went to the last one at Sandwich. They ran open special trains from St Pancreas then, not sure they'll be doing that again. Even without the specials, train is probably the best way. Make sure that you book seats if possible as I've no idea what they are doing on Southern atm, but some long distance operators are insisting on seat reservations because...
The walk to the course is well signposted and takes 20-25 minutes iirc.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to the last one at Sandwich. They ran open special trains from St Pancreas then, not sure they'll be doing that again. Even without the specials, train is probably the best way. Make sure that you book seats if possible as I've no idea what they are doing on Southern atm, but some long distance operators are insisting on seat reservations because...
The walk to the course is well signposted and takes 20-25 minutes iirc.

It's not Southern, it's Southeastern. Ordinarily you cannot reserve seats, I don't know if that will change for the Open. You would think they will have to lay on extra trains though because Sandwich isn't not on the mainline so doesn't have a good service normally.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The platform at sandwich is short so the longer trains can't disembark, there was talk of putting in temporary stop at the course but I don't think it will happen.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They've banned spectators at the Open qualifying which is 29th June at Princes. Seems odd to completely ban, but maybe the R&A don't want to do anything to put the Open with spectators at risk??

Had the pleasure of playing RSG with the stands and rough all up recently. Wow, it's a different golf course with jungle all around the short stuff!!!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
They've banned spectators at the Open qualifying which is 29th June at Princes. Seems odd to completely ban, but maybe the R&A don't want to do anything to put the Open with spectators at risk??

Had the pleasure of playing RSG with the stands and rough all up recently. Wow, it's a different golf course with jungle all around the short stuff!!!

Crikey, I bet that was amazing. How did you play?

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Crikey, I bet that was amazing. How did you play?

Amazing experience. Played well enough and was lucky with a small wind. Been lucky to play some decent tracks, but never taken as many photos on a course before. Had to use mats on some of the fairways, but not an issue. The whole place is buzzing with construction and people.

Attachments

• IMG-20210609-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210609-WA0003.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 17

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

You didn't happen to find any of my lost balls did you, should be plenty, especially after the forum Kent links meets ?