The Hook of Hamate

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hello All,

been away from this forum for a long time but found myself drawn back here at roughy the same speed as my interest in golf has come back.

Long story - bereavement, injury, change of location, work pressure and then one day this spring the guys in the pub were talking about going out to play a short course and I dusted off the clubs and realised what a gap there had been in my life without the game. So here I am.

I'm still carrying the injury which was about 15% of the reason I quit the game about two years ago and was wondering if anyone else had had this problem or knew of anyone else who had.

Bottom line is Ive managed to snap the tip of a bone in the hand - the hamate bone which has a small bit that is raised up like a hook (apparently a legacy from our simian days). It hasn't rebonded and at the end of the season I'm looking at an having it removed along with a carpel tunnel pressure realease on the same hand. 'Two for the price of one' as the consultant put it.

if the internet is to be believed then roughly a third of all hamate injuries are caused by golf.

For the rest of this season I'll be playing with graphite shafts and mainly working on my short game to keep the irritation down but it's great to have the game to look forward to at the weekend.

all the best

billyg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hey Billy..

Good to have you back - thought you'd gone West!

So you'll have about 100k posts to catch up on - that'll keep you busy.
Sorry to hear the hand is still playing up. Hope they sort it and you can get back to normal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the hand. Any news on when you'll get it removed. Enjoy whatever golf you can get with the problem and hopefully you'll be playing more once it gets resolved. Hope all the other issues have been resolved as best as possible too

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thank you for the kind welcome back folks.

My god , we used to have some good 'ol ding dongs on here didn't we?

Everything else is pretty good or getting better. Having said that, i'm now about two stone heavier and the wrong side of forty since I last posted! Where does it all go eh?

Yes , one hundred thousand posts should keep me amused for a while shouldn't it?

I'm sure within a couple of weeks I'll have jenned up on it all.

My R9 is now old technology. My Rapture mark I's the same and golf balls now come in up to five pieces and the AD333 in orange!

Goodness knows what other wonders there are that Ive missed (apart from the Tiger business of course)

I'm still a hacker but hadn't realised how much I missed the walk, the thrills and spills, being out in 'weather' and getting back from a round with sore feet and looking forward to a pint with the prosepct of doing it all again next week.

God bless golf

billyg

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome back Bill.

Yes , one hundred thousand posts should keep me amused for a while shouldn't it?

I'm sure within a couple of weeks I'll have jenned up on it all.

Wouldn't bother if I were you. Mostly the same stuff regurgitated again and again but check out our Timgolfy. Top fella :D