The First Year of WHS - Positives and Negatives

Basically, it is asking players to play with integrity. It shouldn't have to be enforced if players have that integrity. If they don't, then I'm sure they could just as easily ignore the rules of golf let alone the rules of handicapping.

Also, if players start back handing short putts and missing them, it would be fairly easy for any of their playing partners to question them.
Not sure playing with integrity is the same as attempting to make the best possible score on each hole. I consider integrity to be about not cheating. If I don't take as much care with a shot because I duffed the last one (inadvertently) and already lost the hole in the friendly side bet matchplay game I am having, then I still feel I am acting with integrity, but appear to fall foul of the ridiculous EG statement.

Swango1980

Not sure playing with integrity is the same as attempting to make the best possible score on each hole. I consider integrity to be about not cheating. If I don't take as much care with a shot because I duffed the last one (inadvertently) and already lost the hole in the friendly side bet matchplay game I am having, then I still feel I am acting with integrity, but appear to fall foul of the ridiculous EG statement.
If you lose your head momentarily in a game of golf, and that result in you not executing the next shot with your maximum focus, I doubt the authorities will be coming down on you like a ton of bricks. The mental part of the game is all part of golf.

If you are playing a friendly match play side bet, and you end up not taking much care in shots after you lose the hole, then clearly this "side bet" game is your priority. You shouldn't be submitting a card for handicap, if you are letting match play dictate your actions. It is one of the reasons why match play rounds are not currently acceptable for handicapping in the UK, because there would be a concern of this type of behaviour. If players noticed that you were submitting scores for handicap, but frequently observed this behaviour where you didn't take care on shots when the hole was lost on a frequent basis, then they would be within their own right to call you up on it. It is effectively cheating, because you are intentionally submitting scores for your handicap that could have been better had you tried to score as best you can on each hole. This could give you a higher handicap, and thus give you an unfair advantage in future. So, if that is you, act with integrity and don't submit a card. You probably won't get called up on it, especially if you are playing with a mate. So, if golfers are choosing to submit a score for handicap, we primarily rely on that golfer to try to do their best, even if there is the odd mental break down.