The day you knew Golf was your sport.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seeing that htl is at Pachesham brought this to mind.

I rode at a one day event there and cacked myself over the cross country,sloped off to the golf course and hit balls whilst HID competed. Realised that even a shank couldnt break a limb!

The other was at the 96 Open. I worked for a company that sponsored Corey Pavin. We had customers there for the last day of practice and all the comp. Lit a fire that I dont think will ever go out.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oddly enough, Golf isn't really my sport, in terms of what I'm physically suited to.
I've played lots of "accuracy" sports, Snooker, Darts, Archery, Bowls and reckon I'd be far better at these with lots of practice.

I got into Golf after the Ryder Cup of 1993. I was given a set of old blades and woods and just went and played. I was shocking, but I was addicted instantly.
I was mad for it for about 5 years and then had a couple of disheartening lessons (with a new pro) and HID wanted me to calm down, so I decided to play socially only.

I only had to pick them up again to be addicted....the rest is history.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went for a laugh to a local pitch and putt with some mates for something to do and I was captivated by how difficult the game was! Without wishing to sound pretentious I have always been able to play any sport I have tried reasonably well within a few minutes of being introduced to it however with golf I was useless and I became determined to fix this and make it another sport that I 'could play' (I'm still working on this ;)!) The other part was that I just enjoyed being out on a golf course all be it a pitch and putt as it was attractive cosmetically with all the closely mown greens and I just like being in the outdoors anyway. So I started trying to play more and spoke to friends of my dad who were very good players and they gave me some clubs that they had and got me started on the road to where I am today. I started purely going to the pitch and putt, then I went to a larger 9 holer and after a few range visits with one of my dads mates he took me to play a proper 18 hole course for the first time. The game has just grown on me from here- although I wouldn't say it is my sport over all others - but scarily it is getting more and more that way. Last year I would never have missed playing a game of football/rugby to play golf but things are much different now!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Company sent me to Malaysia for 5 weeks for the second year running. The first year had been madly busy and I came home ill. The second year I finished the job with a day or so in hand so the permanent based guys, all madly keen golfers, took me out for nine holes at Ayer Keroh Country Club (we were dodging the thunderstorms).
Upshot was, 1st hole short par 3, I grubbed the tee shot. My mate gave me a 7-i to try and I creamed it way over the green and into the ulu (jungle - literally). A few holes later I hammer a 5-w 250 yds (or so he said) - never did find the ball but golf had found me.
Came home bought the clubs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had always played a lot of sport as a kid (football, cricket, athletics in particular - running for the county and a top club) but my dad had always played golf. Sandown Park (middle of the racecourse) were doing junior lessons for a week (hour per day Mon-Fri) during the summer holidays and my dad took me down.

They filled a dustbin full of range balls and we just kept going until the bin was empty as the pro went round one by one teaching the basics. That got me hooked. For what happened next read the September GM

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't really play sport quite decent at rugby at school but more interested in being a rock star when I was a lad!

Got Tiger Woods for the PS2 for a pressie one year played it to death and thought this doesn't look too hard ( :eek:) so me and a mate got some clubs and went to the nearest driving range.

Nearly 3 years on I'm not much better than I was then!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played everysport possible but Football is MY sport.

Golf is my second. Played on field as kid, pitch and putt as teenager but when I played on my first proper 18 holer last Oct, I was hooked. So much so i spent about a grand in 6months kitting out. 9 months later, i'm playing to about 12-15, determined to be single figures before I am 25. 23 now!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last years Open, went out and bought some Wilson Fat Shafts the day after and have been hooked since.

I love it so much because I will never be able to get to the standard that I want.

What dod you think about the Pachesham Nico? Did you play a round?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
The day before I knew it wasn't my sport

My main activity for the last 30 years was sailboat racing, dinghies and yachts. It's also provided me with a living, no sorry, has kept me employed, for the most part of my working life.

Only really started playing when the first nipper arrived as I couldn't justify spending the whole day on the water, or being away all weekend. I used to dabble in golf 15 years ago, so I thought that it would take up less time than racing. Oh dear, how wrong I was; 5 hour rounds really don't help, and will ultimately be the reason why I might have to give the golf up completely. Especially as HID wants a second :(

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
The day I picked up my first club.

Football was always the number one but a bad injury put paid to a promising career.
Athletics (distance running) was also high up there aswere a number of other sports.

I am a bit of a perfectionist and i'm going to play this game until I crack it....... So looks like i'll be playing forever :D

It took over my life when i was in my twenties and had to pack in ......... or move out. HARD choice :eek:

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry htl have hit a thousand balls on the range,though none for a couple of years,but never played there.

Why dont we play home and away?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guildford & Merrist Wood.

By Guildford....do you mean the course out at Merrow. If so, I've been there, sloping off for a quick break from Cross Country at RGS! :) Boys at the RGS used to play their sport at the Urnfield (?)....that's where I got mashed up playing Rugby.

Merrist wood is the agricultural college.....I had a few mates go there for farmer training.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was a member at Guildford as well but gave it up as I live about 500yds from the Wood.

They sold the dairy herd and built a Golf course on 250 acres. Just under 7,000yds long,now owned by Crown Golf god help us,but the course is in great shape and is a proper test.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
5 hour rounds really don't help, and will ultimately be the reason why I might have to give the golf up completely. Especially as HID wants a second :(

don't despair hapless'. a minor modification to an electric trolley and you're baby 'sitting'!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
5 hour rounds really don't help, and will ultimately be the reason why I might have to give the golf up completely. Especially as HID wants a second :(

don't despair hapless'. a minor modification to an electric trolley and you're baby 'sitting'!

I did look at strapping some tubes to the side of the off road push chair to store my clubs in, (cowboy winchester rifle style on the horse). Just didn't think that the club would appreciate a baby on the course, let alone nappy changing and feeding.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played hurling and gaelic football since i was 8 yrs old, also competed at athletics, especially cross country. Played Pitch & Putt as a kid and dabbled in golf through my teens & early twenties.

It was when my hurling and football days came to an end at 32, due to two broken boens in six months, that i decided to take golf up as a way to keep the competitive juices flowing.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

I did look at strapping some tubes to the side of the off road push chair to store my clubs in, (cowboy winchester rifle style on the horse). Just didn't think that the club would appreciate a baby on the course, let alone nappy changing and feeding.

I doubt that they would notice; there are enough throwing teddys out of prams as it is.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Football was my number one, not been able to play for ten years through injury though.

Then Middlesbrough didn't bother trying in the FA Cup Vs Cardiff last season so washed my hands of that.

1 golf
2 cricket