The Cost of Insurance, No Reward for Loyalty

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been with Direct Line for nearly 10 years now for my home and contents insurance. Every year, get my renewal, call them up and pay. Well this year, after another increase I thought it was time to look around. The average quote I was getting was over £400 a year cheaper. Yes that is right, the quote was actually half of what Direct Line had been charging me for like cover. So, I thought, I would give Direct Line a call, we would probably end up splitting the difference and that would be that. What discount did they offer, nothing, not a penny. Now Direct Line offer great service but charging twice a much as the nearest rival and not willing to budge at all on price was just a massive kick in the teeth after years of loyalty and probably paying over the odds. So, looks like it is time for a change.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My dad insured though zurich. He had staff discount, old codgers discount, no claims discount, you name it, he had it. Come last renewal, he was quoted an insane amount. I got a quote for him at half price easily. They had a Rethink and matched the quote. He had paid up for the last ten years without even thinking. Robbing gits.

Insurers are scum. End of.

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a similar experience. I think all of them will freely discount the first year to get your custom, then crank it up every year after that until you complain. Most of us just pay the renewal because we can't be bothered to shop round or enter all our details on a new providers form every year. With all things financial there is no such thing as a loyalty bonus, they are all out to screw you.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I always go online and get quotes for renewal as there is absolutely no loyalty bonus with these thieving so and so's. The business model is based on a low first year and hope that people renew without checking I almost always save a bundle on car and house insurance compared to the renewal quotes for just a small amount of effort. It's just as important to regularly check energy prices as well.

Chris