The correct way to play a hybrid

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I just received my first ever hybrid courtesy of the bay (an Adams A7OS graffaloy prolaunch for those interested) and I was looking at conflicting advise on how to play them.

So, like an iron or like a fairway wood? And I assume that's the same whether off the tee or turf. Thanks ya'll.

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Definately like an iron. I apply same set up and picture the same strike as I would be intending to put on a 6 or 7 iron. Works fine for me from fairway rough or tee. Also, off the tee, i tee down very low.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the relies chaps, just been out the back field and what a revelation! I hit my (20*) 3 iron well off the tee but struggle to get it air borne for long enough off the turf, result being it doesn't go any further than my (23*) 4 iron. This is a 22* and it soars into the air! Difficult to judge distance, very cold and straight into a good headwind so I'll wait until a calm day and see whats what. Played it more like a long iron taking a shallow divot, didn't feel right to play it like my 5 wood, felt my body was behind it and there's no need to be with the way it launches the ball.

Thanks all! Why did I wait so long to get one of these things?!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe KJ Choi did a good article on the different ways to play a hybrid. Cannot remember if it was a GM article or not.

That was one of the conflicting ones, he said like a fairway, GMac said like an iron, I guess you plays what you feels but after a short test I'm in the iron camp.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Off a tee and on the fairway, for me, it's like a wood and in the rough and poor lies its like an iron.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i play my hyrbid more like an iron. in fact i have gone as far as replacing my 20 degree hybrid with titleist 503h which are more like irons than hybrids anyway.

nothing beats a low driving bullet with the adams 16 hybrid!

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wish I could help but the Rescue is the only club in the bag I have no confidence with. Who said they where easier to hit than a long iron?