The chipping yips

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got a serious dose and it's wrecking my scores. Every other part of my game is as good as it's been for a while but as soon as I'm faced with a chip or short pitch it's fats and thins all over the place. It's costing me 4 or 5 shots a round.

Club champs is in 2 weeks but with work being busy and the weather as it is I don't have time or opportunity to practice. I'm considering chipping with my hybrid until I can get some serious practice time in!

Also wondering if I'd get any benefit from practicing at home with airflow balls? I know that doesn't give me feedback from ball flight or spin but it's consistent contact I'm struggling withe so might be worth a shot - I am desperate after all

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been there a few times over the years and can sympathise. Most recently I had it 6 months ago and thing that I moved to (not much of a swing theorist so this won't be eloquent) is hitting chips/short pitches with the same stroke as for a 50 foot putt, i.e. straight arms, ball in middle of the stance and just using shoulders to sweep through the ball. It is then just repetition of the same stroke, modified only by the distance you need to hit the ball. Only thing is the ball will come out at exactly the same height everytime if you are hitting them well so it won't work if need to chip over a ridge/bunker/off a downslope. You can practice it on carpet hitting balls 2-3 metres inside (at least for chipping). I went from regularly duffing/thinning chips and losing all confidence with them to back to the point where I am confident in hitting 90% of 5-20metre chips into a couple of feet.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No Bob I didn't. Where do I find it?

There's actually two.
One from face on..........

[video=youtube;NA8aMPqdmbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ&v=NA8aMPqdmbY& feature=player_detailpage[/video]

and one from behind

[video=youtube;84pM1EMya_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84pM1EMya_E&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=6&feature=plcp[/video]

The idea is to try and hit the ball under the shaft on the baskets. If you get it right, the ball should go OVER the shaft

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks OldMate, with my lack of time at the moment I might give this a go as it seems simple. If I can start getting a consistent strike that would be a start.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not what I wanted to read with the Volvo's on Wednesday. Good job I was getting the linear method into full working order yesterday. Is it since you wanted to try different shots. If so get back to the wedge and your go to shot. Trust what you know on Wednesday and just make sure you hit all the greens and take the need to chip out of the equation

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what was the advice or do you mean the video?
The video, but more importantly the swing though of trying to hit it low. I haven't actually done the hipping over the stick thing but now I just try to hit my chips as low as possible and they run up the clubface perectly