The Belfry

Kibble992

Hacker
Visit site
I am looking at taking a work colleague to The Belfry for a golf day. Which is the best course? The obvious choice is the PGA National, but I have heard very mixed views about it. What is the best out of the 3 there?

The Derby
The Brabozon
PGA National.

Would appreciate any comments!

Jeff

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
The Brabazon is the obvious choice given the history surrounding it. You get to play the iconic 10th hole etc. Its not the hardest of course IMO, having played 7/8 times now. Decent length par 4's depeding on lenght off the tee are the only challenge. Huge & well cared for greens that roll true are to be expected. I've not played either of the others so can't give you a comparison.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if budget allows the obvious choice would surely be the Brabazon as its the course the Ryder Cup was played on and is usually in the best condition of the courses (personally think the PGA is a better overall layout), wouldnt play the Derby

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i am a member. the pga is better in the winter than the brab. the Brabazon drains the worse of the 3 course's. depending on the date i might be able to help

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played all three in early September. Everyone seems to really put a lot of hate on The Derby...but I thought it was a nice enough course. I just think it is overshadowed by the other 2. Pick it up, and move it as a members only course...and there would be no issues whatsoever.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played all three in early September. Everyone seems to really put a lot of hate on The Derby...but I thought it was a nice enough course. I just think it is overshadowed by the other 2. Pick it up, and move it as a members only course...and there would be no issues whatsoever.

i play the derby over the pga all the time. this morning the course was in amazing condition. a hell of a lot of money has been spent on the derby. its a different course than most will remember

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played The Derby and PGA 6 weeks ago and preferred the PGA as found it more of a challenge. Both in pretty good nick. As others have said for the history has to be the Brabazon .

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My order of preference is Brabazon, Derby, PGA.

I find the PGA very dull and samey in the middle, and if the rough has been allowed to grow then don't expect to score anything.

Greens are excellent on all three.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My order of preference is Brabazon, Derby, PGA.

I find the PGA very dull and samey in the middle, and if the rough has been allowed to grow then don't expect to score anything.

Greens are excellent on all three.

i agree. i think the pga is like playing golf on the moon! good challenge in the summer to get an idea where your game is at

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I stayed and played at The Belfry in August.

Was my first visit in a few years since the major refurb of the hotel and clubhouse areas. The hotel, bars, restaurants, spa, clubhouse, locker rooms, bedrooms etc are all now excellent, I was very impressed.

I wasn't so impressed with the courses though. Played the PGA National one day, and I just found it really bland with no memorable holes. The conditioning was ok, but not amazing. Not a course I would particularly rush back to play.

The second day we played The Brabazon. This was my second time playing it.There are a handful of really good/great golf holes (3rd, 4th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 18th are my favourites). The fairways were lush and bouncy, the greens were great too. However, the bunkers really ruin this course for me. Both times I've played there the bunkers have been in appalling condition, worse than any other course I've played at. Compacted sand, unraked each morning, footprints everywhere. So despite some good holes and all the history, it isn't a course that would be anywhere near the list of my favourite courses.