The Ashes - Predictions for the Oval

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I write Australia are looking ominous at 61-0 at lunch after skittling out our tail order for next to nothing. I can see another day of Aussie batting to 500 or so leaving us 150 odd behind and in no position to win the test.

Pessimistic, maybe....

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed, the problem is therefore the English second innings which I can see being an embarrasing sub-150 score! All the Aussies have to do is get a decent number on the board in their 1st innings, then bowl us out on a deteriorating wicket for next to nothing.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Just keeping an eye on the bbc website and surely the odds must be turning in englands favour now, with the pitch cutting up and the aussies have an uncharacteristic england style collapse.
I will stick my neck out and go for an england win by about 100 - 150 runs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OK currently 230 ahead or in real terms 230-3. I think we need a minimum of 400-450 lead as I'm not convinced the Aussies won't pull something out of the fire. If we can bat for most or all of tomorrow and get near that 450 mar then the little urn should come home

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well I got my wish for a huge target but we may need every one of those runs as we rarely looked like getting a wicket this evening and the pitch looks quite well behaved now.

If ever this was set up for Freddie to give us one last hurrah this is it. Come on England

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The facts are this ....... We have to win this match to win the Ashes , as MarkS said.

Knowing the Aussies psyche , they are capable of reaching this target and they'd like nothing better than hitting 550 just to rub our noses in it. This mornings session could well be the most important session of the whole series....although the Stuart Broad 5 for was very impressive.

Come on ENGLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNDDDDDDD

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If we lose this now, we should shoot the lot of them.

we will NOT lose THIS. But we may well draw the match therefore the series, therefore Aussies retain the Ashes.

Unless there is a sudden dip in the weather, the only way the aussies are going to save this game is to bat for two days.

If they do that, they'll score enough to win.

At the moment a draw is the least likely outcome, imo.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ever the pessimist - Australia can win this game. Records can be broken. Nothing would surprise me BUT....given the way the wickets tumbled in all but the first innings (England) it's a 95% guarantee we can bowl them out in two days.
How does the weather look :D :D :D

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I predict a total over reaction like the last one and folk getting MBE'S etc for winning a series against one of the worst teams the aussies have ever sent over....at least the last one was against a decent team this lot are gash to put it mildly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well the England team came up trumps in the end so well doen. Not sure what state Freddie will be in by now even if he did say he was going to take it easy and take the missus for a meal. To be fair this series never really lived up to the last one but probably never could. There were some highlights (Englands antics in saving the 1st test) good knocks, English collapses and then Broads spellbinding efforts in this match to set up the winning postion. Its good to get the Ashes back and hopefully we'll put up a better defence down under next time around