That's blown it...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A week ago Friday I was at work lifting some reasonably heavy mats about (with a work mate, not on my own) when a sudden twang announced the arrival of lower back spasms and the immediate inability to do anything other than hobble about like an old man...

They say an active working life helps to keep you fit and healthy 'well' I beg to differ as all it's done for me over the years is cause me no end of back ache and stiffness in my joints...

Another thing that struck me whilst sat at home recuperating is that not only does working for a living seriously detract from what precious time you actually do have to live your life in but when something like this happens it also takes big meaty chunks outta the very small amount of time you do have left in which to do things for yourself, things such as play golf, go shooting, even had to turn the grandson away for the first few days as he's at an age where he wants me to get down on the floor for play fights which as you can probably imagine is well beyond my capabilities in my current condition...

The conclusion to all this is the realisation that 'work' really does suck !... :rant:

ps, may be just the right time to seriously reconsider my career prospects...

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A week ago Friday I was at work lifting some reasonably heavy mats about (with a work mate, not on my own) when a sudden twang announced the arrival of lower back spasms and the immediate inability to do anything other than hobble about like an old man...

They say an active working life helps to keep you fit and healthy 'well' I beg to differ as all it's done for me over the years is cause me no end of back ache and stiffness in my joints...

Another thing that struck me whilst sat at home recuperating is that not only does working for a living seriously detract from what precious time you actually do have to live your life in but when something like this happens it also takes big meaty chunks outta the very small amount of time you do have left in which to do things for yourself, things such as play golf, go shooting, even had to turn the grandson away for the first few days as he's at an age where he wants me to get down on the floor for play fights which as you can probably imagine is well beyond my capabilities in my current condition...

The conclusion to all this is the realisation that 'work' really does suck !... :rant:

It does help you. My career is behind a desk so when it comes to Golf I’m not as flexible or active all time so more prone to injuries

I get random pains all time

You have a bad injury but how often do you have em

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Feel you, I've only once pulled or hurt a muscle, and that was at work lifting a heavy box above my head, put my shoulder out of action for a good month. Wishing you a speedy route back to golfing health! and work too if you have to.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It does help you. My career is behind a desk so when it comes to Golf I’m not as flexible or active all time so more prone to injuries

I get random pains all time

You have a bad injury but how often do you have em

I'm at the other end of the spectrum to you then, years of hard graft out in all weathers winter/spring/summer and fall 6 and sometimes 7 days a week, I'm lifting heavy cutting units etc on a regular basis, I'm a green keeper by trade (I was an agricultural tyre fitter in my previous job) I get an almost constant lower back ache, suffer from bouts of 'carpel tunnel syndrome' in my neck and shoulders from time to time, my flexibility is at an all time low and getting worse as the seasons go on and I'm only 43, Christ knows what I'm gonna be like in 24yrs time when I come to retire, that's even if I make it that far...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm at the other end of the spectrum to you then, years of hard graft out in all weathers winter/spring/summer and fall 6 and sometimes 7 days a week, I'm lifting heavy cutting units etc on a regular basis, I'm a green keeper by trade (I was an agricultural tyre fitter in my previous job) I get an almost constant lower back ache, suffer from bouts of 'carpel tunnel syndrome' in my neck and shoulders from time to time, my flexibility is at an all time low and getting worse as the seasons go on and I'm only 43, Christ knows what I'm gonna be like in 24yrs time when I come to retire, that's even if I make it that far...

See I’m 30 and can’t straighten my left arm due to scar tissue from a previous breaking (smashed to bits) of my elbow
My left knee acl was reconstructed from my hamstring
Right knee been cleared out a few times

No appendix

Plus my daily tablets lol

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Feel you, I've only once pulled or hurt a muscle, and that was at work lifting a heavy box above my head, put my shoulder out of action for a good month. Wishing you a speedy route back to golfing health! and work too if you have to.

Thanks for the wishes buddy, this is the first real hit I've taken so far where back injuries are concerned but as I said in the above post I seem to be wearing out real fast these days, one thing I will say is I'll not be lifting anything more substantial than a cold beer from now on, don't see why I should wear myself out prematurely just to fill the governments coffers, I've seen/met plenty of people along the way who do just enough to get by without breaking themselves in the process, my problem is I'm one of those that don't do things by half measures, bloody fool to myself really...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
See I’m 30 and can’t straighten my left arm due to scar tissue from a previous breaking (smashed to bits) of my elbow

No appendix

Crickey, and you're only 30 you say !...

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sounds like sciatica which I suffer with, last bout I had put me in hospital since then I make sure I stretch every day and touch wood so far so good. I know how painful it is so good luck hope you recover soon.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So many folk just have poor technique when lifting things.

I remember the absolute derision I got from 15 greenkeepers when I sent them on a half day lifts/trips/spills training course.
When they came back they could not believe how sensible it was and how they had been making dangerous decisions most of their working lives

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

No appendix

No need for an appendix you big Jessie 😂. The rest.........Blimey you need to ease up.

Aches and pains are part of age unfortunately. I have the back spasm issue and I'm doing stretches and getting massages in order to help resolve it. Yoga should help as well but it's finding time to do it. Something I need to find time for though. Good luck.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No need for an appendix you big Jessie . The rest.........Blimey you need to ease up.

id say easing up might be the problem! years with a job that is more desk based than on my feet and not very active .. so when I do something active my body isnt used to it and wants to break lol

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for all the well wishes chaps, actually managed to spend a full night in bed last night without having to get up, been splitting sleep between the bed and sitting upright on the sofa although it's been more sofa than bed for the last 10 days, top that with having to get up and walk around for 5-10minutes every hour or so throughout the night cos me arse and lower back had become numb/stiff/painfull, all in all it's been great fun, spose there's worse than me though...

The real bugger about it all is a few days ago I aquired 2 hybrids a 3h-17° and 4h-21° which have both been sat starring at me from the corner of the living room, I have picked them up and tried to assume the position but not a bleed'n chance, don't think I'll be swinging a club for at least the next fortnight, nevermind... :rolleyes:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the well wishes chaps, actually managed to spend a full night in bed last night without having to get up, been splitting sleep between the bed and sitting upright on the sofa although it's been more sofa than bed for the last 10 days, top that with having to get up and walk around for 5-10minutes every hour or so throughout the night cos me arse and lower back had become numb/stiff/painfull, all in all it's been great fun, spose there's worse than me though...

The real bugger about it all is a few days ago I aquired 2 hybrids a 3h-17° and 4h-21° which have both been sat starring at me from the corner of the living room, I have picked them up and tried to assume the position but not a bleed'n chance, don't think I'll be swinging a club for at least the next fortnight, nevermind... :rolleyes:

friend of mine whos 47 been suffering from a bad back all season

hes taken a 3 month break from golf this winter to fully rest it for the new season

have to say it sucks cuz he was my main PP lol