Thats all Folks (for now anyway)

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have been pretty much absent from the Forum for the last month while I have been mulling over my golfing future.

Over this last season things on and off the course have gone pretty poorly for me and I have had cause to re evaluate my life and what is most important to me.

On the golfing side, a season which had begun with so much hope and promise for me ended up being one of the worst I have ever experienced.
At the beginning I was playing the golf of my life and my practice tee form held promise of even better to come. On reflection,this led me to place expectations and pressure on myself that no handicap golfer should.
I was just not enjoying myself any more...and it showed to those around me,on the course and at home.
Then I injured my knee again and tried to continue playing though I knew better and I ended up damaging another part of my body due to the compensations I was making.

When I combine the above with things outside golf it was clearly time for me to make some decisions going forward.

To that end I decided not to renew my membership at the club,this was extremely tough as I had served on the committee twice and represented many of the teams. After ten years it is a wrench but,the moment I made the call I knew I had done the right thing.
I actually didnt play or even pick up a club from the end of July until last Saturday and sadly I didnt miss it at all.
Saturday was actually what confirmed the immediate way froward for me. After a bit of persuasion I played with 3 pals at another local club and had a very pleasant time.We actually came off after 15 holes (the 15th green is right next to the clubhouse and the last 3 were chokka)and went for a spot of lunch.
When we ordered our drinks my mate turned to me and said "Did you not realise that you were only 1 over when we finished?", when I said "sure,why?" he said "But you would normally have insisted in playing on to get a score?".
That told me all I needed to know,I had not been as relaxed or happy on the course as that for ages, what I needed is to take a break away from it all and get back to just enjoying the game and the company of my friends.

So now my golfing life will be confined to the odd pick up game on a weekend and a couple of society days that I have already comitted to.That includes not being around the Forum.

I would like to thank the rest of the GM family for all the chat and banter I have read and been involved in,you really are a special lot.
The future of Golf is in safe hands here,from the level of debate to the welcome that new members of the golfing family recieve and long may it continue.

Nico may appear again in the future but for now goodbye and good luck to you all.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think that you should see if you can suspend your membership for 12 months, and review it later when you are more distanced from the decision, as that way if you do get the bug back, you won't have to pay a joining fee.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Nico, its what makes us happy that counts, I am glad you have realised your own happiness and you will be missed on the forum by many, now Nico about your Vega's & Makser.... ;)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nico.....Sad to hear this, but you've got to follow the path that's right for you.
It's a shame we never got to play.....given we grew up within a stones throw.
Good luck with whatever you choose......and thanks for the nice comments about the forum......

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nico, when I read the first paragraph I thought I must have posted this in my sleep as that is how I have felt about golf this year. I think the increase in the cost of living added to the dramatic increase in days the course has been closed due to rain has led me and a few mates to re-evaluate what we want from golf and I am glad to say it is enjoyment. We are going back to our old course and will accept its foybles with a smile on our coupons.

Good luck in whichever persuit you choose for some R&R.

p.s. Parmo, after reading your blog I can understand how you got pissed with my 'muni' rant the other day ... I doft my cap to you m8.

B

birdieman

Nico, must be catching, I haven't been near a golf course in 4 weeks, haven't missed it either. Just starting to think about a game again now however so hopefully re-enthused, some medals coming up. Season has been a let down so far, back injury early April didn't help but did get from 5.0 to 4.7 by end June then swing disappeared July and endless 0.1's I'm back up at 5.2 - not where I want to be.
Noticing the weight going up without the walking aspect of golf so for general exercise and fitness it is good to play golf, a 3.5 hour walk with some swiping and slashing of clubs does seem to keep the flab at bay!
If you're not golfing you need something else to fill that time or you'll end up down John Lewis with the Mrs :(

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this mate. Golf aint going any where and neither are we, whenever you fel lika a rant in out of bounds log on and have a chat, it would be a great shame to lose you and you can always just pick up golf whenever you feel like.

Just please dont fully neglect those wicked, sexy clubs ypu have!

Sorry my spelling so bad today, on work computer with no spell check.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nico,

I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. Gave the game a rest as I had other things to worry about (money/work etc). Once I sorted those out I came back for our forum outing and had a ball again. Hopefully you'll do the same and your frame of mind will change like mine did.

All the best...and don't forget we're always here.

Cheers

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nico, sorry to hear things with your golf got to an extent where this was necessary however clearly it was and from what you have said you are much happier now so the changes have been for a positive. I am sure you will be missed on the forum you have made numerous valuable contributions so to echo what HTL said just because you have said you are calling it a day on here doesn't mean you need to feel bad about coming back, Everyone will welcome you back with open arms if you ever feel like a golfing rant or just a normal discussion. I hope you continue to enjoy your odd game of golf, and with a bit of luck by christmas with the help of a victory for europe in the ryder cup your golfing appetite will be restored.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this mate. Golf aint going any where and neither are we, whenever you fel lika a rant in out of bounds log on and have a chat,

Hear hear! Hope you won't desert us altogether as we'll miss you on the forum, but hope your decision turns out to be right for you.

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can only the sentiments of everyone else on here. Like a number of others I'm feeling a bit disillusioned about my golf game at the moment and a summer that promised much and delivered nothing.

Haven't even had the heart to get out and practice. Sadly the extra rest hasn't helped my game and I'm still playing as poorly as ever. I hope you log on periodically just to see what the latest vibes are. You will be missed by everyone on here.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Please just suspend your membership. It will probably only cost £20, and it just leaves the door open. Hope you find your inner peace.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good luck Nico. Your contributions on here have always been a good read and I hope that you are happier with just the occasional game.

Look forward to having you back when you feel ready and refreshed.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Birdie, Madandra, Homer, J_F, RGuk....all down in the dumps.
What do we all have in common?
I'd like to know.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Jeepers fellas, chins up, its the weather, noone is getting an easy ride, I broke my handicap for the first time in 5 weeks on saturday, I need to break it again by 2 shots (need to drop by 0.4) this saturday's August medal (was postponed originally) and im into the club championship scratch cup. My confidence is flying at the moment even with some below average par 3 results, set a goal for the rest of the season and you are bound to perk up a little.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
With the weather gone crazy, I am on fire. What is wrong with me? I am bucking the trend here. Maybe when my new sticks arrive I can achieve the lows that everyone else seems to be suffering and I can join in with every one elses pain. I feel left out.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My problem is flippin' bogey holes......

Todays effort......1 under after 4....then tried to play for 3 fives in a row, I mean how hard can it be???
Play for a 5, make a 6......golf!!! arghhh.......

front9disaster.jpg

It didn't help that the rain came, followed by the glasses mist just as I putted out on the 4th green.