Thank you Northern Ireland for 5 wonderful days of golf

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back to drizzly England after 5 days of golf under clear blue skies in Northern Ireland.

Played Royal County Down, Lough Erne, Castle Hume (LE second course), Royal Portrush and Portstewart.
Weather was amazing with sun, blue skies every day and a gentle breeze until we reached Portstewart where it blew a hooley!
Great craic and punishing rough.

Didn't score very well - best was 30 points and worst won't be mentioned - but fantastic courses.

County Down is amazing but maybe too hard for the likes of me.
Portrush is visually amazing but leave your ball anywhere beyond the first cut of rough and you're in trouble.
Portstewart rough not as penal but the wind did for me there.

Will we be back?
Probably not- any return visit would never be as good as this one!

andrew_mac

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds awesome, NI is home and and regularly back home but not yet managed to squeeze in any golf. Portrush and Portstewart would be top of my list though think I will wait to get my handicap nearer 20 before playing either.

G

guest100718

Is Lough Erne open then, what with the G8 and all that.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is Lough Erne open then, what with the G8 and all that.

It was just about open. They have just finished building a metal fence round the place and the 1 mile access road was shut when we arrived which meant a 4 mile detour along dodgy narrow roads, but it was open when we left. The place is awash with painters sprucing the place up. Several big checkpoints with humungeous barriers.
I assume it goes into lockdown in a few days time

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was just about open. They have just finished building a metal fence round the place and the 1 mile access road was shut when we arrived which meant a 4 mile detour along dodgy narrow roads, but it was open when we left. The place is awash with painters sprucing the place up. Several big checkpoints with humungeous barriers.
I assume it goes into lockdown in a few days time

Closed from sunday night. My mate stays in the houses near the castle hume pro shop and has had to shift out today. He is out for 10 days. Will be pretty difficult getting in now unless you get a helicopter there ;)

G

guest100718

Yes I have heard the main shore road is closed to the public. I played their not long after it opened. Its a lovely place to play.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Portstewart Strand have played it well over 20 times and never tire of playing it the front 9 is superb and the back 9 is underrated imo.

S

Snelly

Royal County Down under blue skies? Heavenly! Lucky you......