Texas Scramble Allowance

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Realise how to work out the allowances.

However the figures is rounded up to a full integer i.e 5.2 becomes 5 and 5.6 becomes 6 in the final calculatio.

Seem to recall d last year our Club used the calculation to 1 decimal point which seems more practical. Example if there are 30 teams 10 could have a nett score of 56, 10 57 and 10 58.. The way our Club did it there would not be as many scores with the same whole number.

If the whole integer is used is count back used for back 9/6/3/1?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Realise how to work out the allowances.

However the figures is rounded up to a full integer i.e 5.2 becomes 5 and 5.6 becomes 6 in the final calculatio.

Seem to recall d last year our Club used the calculation to 1 decimal point which seems more practical. Example if there are 30 teams 10 could have a nett score of 56, 10 57 and 10 58.. The way our Club did it there would not be as many scores with the same whole number.

If the whole integer is used is count back used for back 9/6/3/1?
It is the responsibility of the Committee in charge of the competition to decide and publish how ties will be broken.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Our Conditions of Competition specify the use of the decimal place if the standard countback cannot separate teams.
Wow, so in the event of countback best 9,6,3,1 being unable to separate the teams, the competition committee / organiser recalculates the team handicaps to 1 decimal place in order in find a winner in what is usually a ‘fun competition’ ? What would be wrong with the competition result being a draw ?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How can it be a decimal as 6.2 specifies that the Playing Handicap is a whole number?
This is my point. Should the playing handicap be a whole integer as RF says OR to a decimal point. I thought the former. Hence the practical problems with several scores likely having the same whole number.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is my point. Should the playing handicap be a whole integer as RF says OR to a decimal point. I thought the former. Hence the practical problems with several scores likely having the same whole number.
Why not extend the countback to 18 holes?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why have a count back at all? Why not accept that when two players or two sides go round a golf course in the same number of strokes they are equal [Rule 3.3a] and share the prizes? Any method of separating players with the same total score other than a play-off is entirely arbritary and unjustly makes one side a winner which has in fact played no better than another. Why that practice has gained universal acceptance and even the endorsement of the R&A, I know not.

But it has, and so it matters not a jot what approach a Committee takes, from using decimal fractions to spinning a coin.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The tie-breaking procedure for a competition is what the Committee decides. Different Committees will make different decisions, and those decisions are all correct. If you like or dislike the decision, talk to the Committee in charge.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seemingly clubs can impose any competition conditions/rules they want, my club have decided that the maximum 3-man team H/C is now 7.5 :eek::mad:

The handicap allowances specified in the WHS rules are supposedly mandatory in CONGU countries. Perhaps there is an Uddingston, USA? :)

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not since WHS came in. It's now supposed to be rounded, and allowances are calculated differently

But TS is not an officially recognised format is it?

Another point to consider not having an integer for the team hcp is that these are often a shot gun start. Using BiH last 6 etc would not be fair as some teams could be playing the hardest part of the course first.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's not recognised in the Rules of Golf which is unsurprising considering how many of them it deviates from, but it is recognised in the WHS Rules of Handicapping where it is included in the table of handicap allowances [Appendix C, p93]. Also in that table are allowances for Greensomes and Pinehurst/Chapman which are likewise not recognised in the Rules of Golf. CONGU makes these allowances mandatory, but I'm not sure how compliant we are when it comes to these odd but entertaining formats.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Another point to consider not having an integer for the team hcp is that these are often a shot gun start. Using BiH last 6 etc would not be fair as some teams could be playing the hardest part of the course first.
Indeed it isn't, but the authorities in their "wisdom" decided to regulate it anyway