Tee shots are killing my scores

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am crap off the tee!

Driver, 3 wood, 4 wood, hybrid

par 3's I am ok but as soon as I have a longer club its hit or miss. Today was a good example, duffed 3 wood 40 yards, then nailed 4 wood, hybrid onto green, 2 putts for bogey.. if only I could get the tee shot away.

I had 2 triples today that were due to poor tee shots :(

Do I book a lesson or work on it at the range (or both)?

My iron play is pretty good right now and short game is tidy enough (the odd duff but its improving all the time).

I just wish I could be more consistant off the tee, not neccessarily longer but tee it up with a bit of confidence instead of thinking 'crap, where is this gonna end up!' :(

Is it more psychological as opposed to just technique?

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah but mine is most rounds, its only decent iron play and short game that saves me. When I played in the volvo with Gary I barely got any away over the 18 holes, it was borderline embarassing.

I can do it on the range just not on the tee!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That's me.

I play off 5 inspite of my driving not because of it......

OK I give in - you're more crap than me...:whoo::ears::clap:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gotta love it, he comes on and tells us his good score from the day day and he's contending in the club champs (net) then a few hours later tells us he cant get the ball in play off the tee lol :)

Hard to pinpoint why mate without seeing the swing, could well be a technical fault (maybe too steep for woods if iron play ok?, ball position too far back etc) or could as easily be a mental block.

Definitely worth getting a go to shot for when you are having a bad driving day, whether it be a long iron, hybrid or 3 wood. Worth getting someone to have a look (either a lesson or maybe post a video for Bob)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
can be anything, top, fat or slice. Slower swing sorts the slice and tops but its the too steep causing a great big fat that really winds me up. Can happen on fairways with woods aswell.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
too steep can often come from ball position, worth checking that you have it far enough forward and even worth trying it a little further forward in your stance to promote a flatter angle of attack

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
just off my big toe for driver, slightly less for fairway woods and less again for hybrid (not much though)

Will pop up the range tomoz and experiment

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just off my big toe for driver, slightly less for fairway woods and less again for hybrid (not much though)

Will pop up the range tomoz and experiment

Are you sure that is where the ball is?

The reason I say that is because to me it feels like the ball is a couple of inches outside my left foot with driver when in fact I know it's only left heel.

Worth sticking a couple of clubs down for alignment at the range to check.

Other (maybe silly) ideas...

If hybrid off the tee is crap but off the fairway is ok then tee off without a tee?

If nothing is working then 6 or 7 iron off the tee and turn a 400yd par 4 with a shot into a 250yd par 4 with no shot?

What's changed though? I thought you were nailing the 3 wood off the tee recently.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was great on Friday Gary, getting good sitance etc but what I am finding is if my 1st tee shot is crap it sets doubts and swing thoughts which then carry on throughout the round.

It tends to be random though generally. can play half a dozen crackers then blam, fat with a big divot on the tee.

Might have to book a lesson and get a decent routine & setup (aswell as highlight any swing issues)

determined to get this sorted as I really feel this can get me scoring regular 80's but as it stands costs me probably half a dozen shots per round if not more. Reason being is I end up short or in crap and either hacking out, losing a ball or having to hit longer 2nd/3rd shots.

Maybe I want too much too quickly but no harm in trying eh? :D

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been having a similar problem with my driver. My solution until I have been able to get a bit more consistency is to use a long Iron off the tee. Then providing you hit the fairway, it's only a club or two more for your second shot.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the opposite problem at the moment. Off the no problem full of it straight down the middle. But oh dear that first iron shot off the fairway. Chipping and putting is ok. Its that damn middle bit!!!!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am crap off the tee!

Driver, 3 wood, 4 wood, hybrid

par 3's I am ok but as soon as I have a longer club its hit or miss. Today was a good example, duffed 3 wood 40 yards, then nailed 4 wood, hybrid onto green, 2 putts for bogey.. if only I could get the tee shot away.

I had 2 triples today that were due to poor tee shots :(

Do I book a lesson or work on it at the range (or both)?

My iron play is pretty good right now and short game is tidy enough (the odd duff but its improving all the time).

I just wish I could be more consistant off the tee, not neccessarily longer but tee it up with a bit of confidence instead of thinking 'crap, where is this gonna end up!' :(

Is it more psychological as opposed to just technique?

Lol, we should play together! I'm the complete opposite. I get up fairly close to par 5 greens quite often in 2 but then can take 4,5 to get down. Pulled wedges, thinned chips, over/under hit putts. Its very very wasteful and frustrating.

My long game is the only thing working properly at the moment.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It was great on Friday Gary, getting good sitance etc but what I am finding is if my 1st tee shot is crap it sets doubts and swing thoughts which then carry on throughout the round.

It's a bit of a cliche but you need to take one shot at a time, one hole at a time. A bad drive on the 1st doesn't mean a bad one on the 2nd.

If you play a bad drive DON'T then go trying to hit a glory shot to make up any lost yardage (until you're proficient), just hit an iron that'll put you close to the 150yrd markers or simply just get the ball back into play.

We all want to run before we can walk.... and we can all talk a good game..... :whistle:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Go get a lesson ASAP, I did when I was doing the same and he got me on the Explanar and straight away I had a greater understanding of why my swing plane was off and causing me similar problems.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you sure you're not trying to hard? I have this affliction at times and can't stop myself swinging 110%, result same as you fats, thins, slices etc. tops mainly. Started trying to swing within myself let the club do what it's made to do.

Oh another thing was keeping my spine angle from address, had a habit of straightening at impact, que top city!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yep its definitely a bit of that. Just back from the range and found I stand a bit too close, ball to far forward in the stance and also holding off on my follow through

was hitting the ball decent with driver at the end. Just need to pound more balls until it feels 2nd nature... then top it on the 1st on Sunday ;)