Tee Height for PW / SW?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
There’s a par 3 9[SUP]th[/SUP] and 18[SUP]th[/SUP] at my course and until recently I’d been playing them brilliantly (one of the few holes I had been consistent with!). They play 116 and 126 yards respectively, both downhill, the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] severely so. Depending on wind, I’ve normally played an SW or PW, normally tee the ball low – about a finger tip of the ground. However, recently the ball just seems to slip of the club high and to the right. Very frustrating – this sometimes happens me when the ball is sitting up in ‘soft’ rough – like my club just swooshes under the ball. Should I tee the ball even lower, or when using a wedge from the tee box dispense with a tee altogether? PW & SW from the fairway are consistent and straight.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dont bother with a tee for wedge shots no need whatsoever to use one.

Our club has a notice in the club house stating that tees must be used on all tee boxes.

Daft I know but hey ho.

To the OP. We have a 104 yard par 3 that is the same. I put a tee peg in the ground as low as it will go to play a 52* wedge.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has a notice in the club house stating that tees must be used on all tee boxes.

Daft I know but hey ho.

To the OP. We have a 104 yard par 3 that is the same. I put a tee peg in the ground as low as it will go to play a 52* wedge.

I have never known that before. Seems a bit silly as players will duff tee shots a take great divots out anyway. GC'S and their rules:rolleyes:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have never known that before. Seems a bit silly as players will duff tee shots a take great divots out anyway. GC'S and their rules:rolleyes:

Exactly what I said.

On the hole in question above, and with most holes that I take an iron off the tee to, I tend to take a divot (.... After the ball before some clever clogs jumps in) so what is the point in using a tee as I'm still going to take some of the tee box after the ball.

I agree, daft rule.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I either use an orange weeny castle tee pushed well in or a broken tee - just to give the ball the perfect lie. Wasn't it Jack Nicklaus who said something about that??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suppose it depends on the quality of your tee box.
If they're not far short of the quality of the greens then you'll have a decent lie if you just throw the ball down.
Ours are not........

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
On our 16th you have to tee up on the fairway (apart from qualifiers) to protect it. So I get used to seeing the ball on a teeny tee with a wedge BUT it looks plain wrong if I'm hitting a little 8 iron chip and run...

S

Snelly

Dont bother with a tee for wedge shots no need whatsoever to use one.

This is 100% wrong.

Putting the ball on a tee places it at the optimum height to hit. It is the equivalent of a perfect lie. To not take the option to do this is completely stupid.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is 100% wrong.

Putting the ball on a tee places it at the optimum height to hit. It is the equivalent of a perfect lie. To not take the option to do this is completely stupid.

Never had any issues whatsoever. Find a spot on the tee box with a decent bit of turf on it, place your ball down and swing away, jobs a good un. Not stupid at all.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep seriously. The fairway is very narrow and surrounded my trees either side so gets very little sunlight even in summer. Whenever I've played it in the past as a visitor it has irked me but I've got used to it. It has a dogleg left so reach the corner and it's a wedge or less in so even with the ruling it gets quite hacked up...

Playing a match once there before I joined and just off the green with a little chip and run planned. Few practice strokes and heard "please do tee the ball up" - did so and fluffed it as it looked so wrong!

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I either use an orange weeny castle tee pushed well in or a broken tee - just to give the ball the perfect lie. Wasn't it Jack Nicklaus who said something about that??

I'm with you. Any tee shot where I hit an iron, either an 8 iron on a par 3 or 4 iron on our dog leg par 4, I use the orange castle tee which just clears it off the ground.