Taylormade TP5

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have always veered away from using 'premium price' balls as I didn't get a lot of compression. Now that's changing I picked up a sleeve of TP5's a few weeks ago to use it and was blown away;

Distance - Excellent
Stopping Power - Excellent
Stability - Really Good (I play in the wind a lot!)
Feel - Subjective

It's taking a while to get used to the concept but I'm really able to attack greens / flags now and get the ball to hold up.

Would recommend anyone looking at balls to try these out, I did and was sold after 18 holes. So much so I went all 'Victor Kiam' and bought two boxes (couldn't afford the whole company).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played one I had found and loved it. The ball was marked and I knew whose mark it was so I had a chat with him. He said he had started using them and found them brilliant (he's a mid SF handicapper). Was a bit miffed as he asked for it back :)

But think I might invest in a sleeve...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played one I had found and loved it. The ball was marked and I knew whose mark it was so I had a chat with him. He said he had started using them and found them brilliant (he's a mid SF handicapper). Was a bit miffed as he asked for it back :)

But think I might invest in a sleeve...

He could have at least bought you a pint for it. One of them probably costs about the same as a pint anyway?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without wanted to hijack the thread.

I'm similar in that I only played with AD333 type balls.

Treated myself to some Chromnesofts x and I think I am smitten.

Feel super powerful on long shots and super grippy around the green.

Think I'm converted now.

Expensive hobby this

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don't lose many balls, I have always found that the modern premium ball to be better value than second division balls anyway. They just seem to be more durable and don't mark up as easily.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you don't lose many balls, I have always found that the modern premium ball to be better value than second division balls anyway. They just seem to be more durable and don't mark up as easily.

the complete opposite. a premium ball has a softer cover. one clatter of a tree or a well struck bunker shot and you score the cover off the ball.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been using the TPx last year and they were mint, could get a dozen for £29.00 but I'm a little disturbed to pay £40+ for this years version, not like I'm playing for money... I may be swerved if the price reduces and/or i'm convinced there worth it, so i'll buy a sleeve to try after I've tried a freebie I got a sleeve of Chrome Softs to try this weekend as I've heard some good things about them.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the complete opposite. a premium ball has a softer cover. one clatter of a tree or a well struck bunker shot and you score the cover off the ball.

I find that the surlyn covered balls scuff up quicker than the urethane covered ones.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've tried most and I always end up back with the bog standard AD333, the only better ball (for me) I've found was the Bridgestone B330.

To to be fair though, I'm also a fan of Doner Kebabs and cheap Cider.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried most and I always end up back with the bog standard AD333, the only better ball (for me) I've found was the Bridgestone B330.

To to be fair though, I'm also a fan of Doner Kebabs and cheap Cider.

Donner 'meat' is a mysterious mistress.

Sounds like you're having a great week Dave.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Won a sleeve a couple of weeks back. Can't say I got on any better than with the Chromesofts I normally use. Perfectly, serviceable but nothing that justifies the price at my level.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've changed over to the TP5 from previously only using Chromesofts - I realy like them but they are expenseive. If you can afford them or don't loose too many balls I'd highly recommend them.