Taylormade RAC OS II - How do they compare to modern clubs?

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
I currently use a set of Taylormade RAC OS II's from 6 - PW (I use TM Burner hydrids for 5 & 3).

They are now around 7 years old and have seen plenty of golf, but it is only the last year that I have taken the game seriously. I recently joined a club and my first handicap is 24.0, I hope to reduce it to <20 this year.

I was fitted for the clubs when I first bought them (+1" and 2° up). I consider them to be too upright for me now; this combined with their age is making me begin to think about changing them.

What I am unsure of is whether to replace them with another set of game improvers or go for something more akin to a players club, such as the Mizuno MP-59.

I appreciate that the only way to buy clubs is by trying them and having them properly fitted. But I don't want a like for like replacement only to find my game has improved beyond them in 12-18 months (I wish!).

Would the advances in club technology make current game improvers so significantly different from my RAC's, that I could gain real short-term benefit and find them suitable all the way to a good mid-handicap? Or, would it be prudent to invest in something like the MP-59 that may impact may game in the short-term but have longer term benefits?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Hi Paul

One of the big improvements in iron technology is that a number of brands have produced added forgiveness in smaller heads. These sets give you a good middle ground between all out improver clubs and compact players models. I have included a list of some of these below. If you can get fitted they should offer plenty of forgiveness but will still work well as your game improves...

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/equipment/reviews/irons/128681/1/mizuno-jpx-800-pro-irons-review.html
http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/equipment/reviews/irons/129079/1/taylormade-r11-irons-review.html
http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/equipment/reviews/irons/129022/1/callaway-razr-x-irons-review.html

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I had certainly considered all the clubs you've listed but perhaps thought of them as like for like with my RAC irons (although was unsure if this was the case).

I need to get myself down to a fitting centre and try some out :)

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't know much about the mizzys and r11s but would say if you're looking for something inbetween the razr x are a fair shout, it all depends on how good you're ball striking is really, but as you said, just go and try loads until you find the ones you like best

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I am still using my 6 year old TM RAC LT II 3 - PW that the demo day tour van fitted me for. I think they still compare well to modern day irons. I have hit mates clubs including Ping i15, Titleist AP2, Mizzy MP57 and would not say they either feel or go better than my trusty old LT II's.

I am only looking at changing them now as they need to be re-shafted and by hte time I have replaced the Rifle shafts and the Multi-compound grips I am better off selling on Fleebay and getting a new set.

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, I had a quick try of the three clubs that Paul O'Hagan recommended. I took a 6i of each on to the range and here are my thoughts:

R11 - These felt most like my existing clubs. Similar distance and flight. Apart from the obvious difference in lie, it could have been the same club.

RAZR X - Ugly looking things at address, shorter distance than my 6i but very consistent.

JPX800 Pro - The club most rewarding of a good strike but you really felt off-centre ones.

The shop were happy to arrange a free fitting of both the TM's and the Mizuno's with no obligation to buy.