• Paul McGinley - ranking has dropped 50 places

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Bjorn - Ryder Cup row

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
Opinions please-sales rep in nevada bobs advised me to steer clear of these as he said that although they'll help my slice, when i start to straighten it up naturally they'll promote a hook to the left. Fact or was he just trying to steer me towards the more expensive Ping's? Also which is better? Nevada Bob's or American golf? I think AG myself but i'm open for differences of opinion and story's................ ;)

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was the sales rep called Einstein by any chance? Clearly if you buy a driver to straighten out your slice, that same driver is by its very nature going to hit the ball left if you manage to straighten out your slicey swing without the aid of purpose-built equipment!

The fact that you were looking at a draw-biased driver in the first place suggests you may have a slice that needs straightening out, and as changing your swing radically involves a lot of hard work - more than most of us can put in - I suggest you go for the club that will do an element of that work for you.

B

birdieman

Coopsaram, am I correct in thinking you're fairly new to golf? If so then your swing will improve as long as your fundamental sare correct. With the correct grip and swing plane you should be able to lose that slice. In that respect don't go for a draw driver, a hooky shot although long is far more destructive than a slice as a hook is top spinning more and ends up further in the crapola.
Most golf courses will have a mixture of holes going right or going left, you want to be able to play the percentages so learn to cut and a draw a neutral driver instead. A strong grip and closed stance will draw it, a weak grip and open stance will fade it - this is not that difficult to learn, its just a set up adjustment then swing as normal.
You could always do a phil and carry 2 drivers (fade and draw!)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not sure if the R7 draw promotes a draw through weighting, or if it has a closed offset face (a lot of TM drivers sit closed). If it is just done thro' weighting, it shouldn't develope into a nasty hook, but may be difficult to fade. On the other hand an offset closed driver will disappear up your left trouser leg if you swing at it properly.

I would tend towards a neutral weighted driver, with a neutral face (titleist are always good, although a lot of friends play ping g5s well), and learn to hit it properly.

However, if you are a higher handicap golfer (20 and up handicap), you would be better off investing in a good three wood, and leaving the driver out altogether. Drivers are the most difficult to hit straight (1 irons excepted), get you in the most trouble, and are the most expensive clubs in the bag.

The old adage used to be that if you couldn't hit 7 fairways out of ten drives then you shouldn't be hitting driver, as it is not putting you into a scoring position. It is not how far, but how many.

Mind you, crushing drivers is fun..... as is chipping out of the trees.

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
I ended up getting the new nike sasquatch! Great looking club and i bombed it off the tee. Got my first lesson friday as well, right before a 4ball with some friends on saturday!

Bring It On!!!!!!!!

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Coopserama, I reckon you've done pretty well there. The latest Sasquatch is a good driver - must be or Tiger wouldn't be using it.

Better sound and feel at impact than last year's and much better looks and sound than the square thing - did you try that too or was the shape too much for you?

Or, horror of horrors, is it actually the square thing you've bought and I've just wantonly dissed the gleaming new club you've just laid out 250 notes for???

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
Na you're ok mate! I looked at the square oneand hit it but I didn't actually like it that much. It jus felt too big and I absolutely HATED the sound it made when you hit the thing. SO I tried out the new sasquatch and it felt great instantly. The pro put me onto a stiff shaft as he felt the club head wasn't keeping up well enough on the way down. It sounds great and hits sweet as a nut. Just like a traditional shaped driver should. Plus it was VAT free day at Nevada Bob's so it ony cost me £160! Bargain!!!!!!