Talk to me about chipping....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for some knowledge about chipping.

My chipping is, comfortably, the worst part of my game. I never practice any aspect of golf but am going to try to practice short game/around the greens this year as to get my handicap any lower it needs to improve drastically.

I am not a technical guy so don't want anything where you get bogged down in where the club has to be, angle of attack etc.

I like the simplistic idea of hinge and hold however never tried it, anyone using this or have views on pro's and con's?

Additionally, I play a load of different shots around the green, does anyone just practice or use 1 "stock" shot that they use 99% of the time regardless of amount of green to work with? Wondering if this would be a better way than using a number of different shots/clubs initially........

Oh, currently off 7 in spite of my short game :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. avoid lengthy backswings, wristy bits, handsy bits etc
2. accelerate through the ball
3. lead with the hands, and keep leading, keep leading...........

1 stock shot which can be used with a range of clubs works for me

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

+1.. Great advice, especially number 2. The amount of people I see who take a great long backswing then slow down through impact is amazing.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

I do this fine on the practise green but on the course it goes outof my head.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit down and through the ball with hands ahead, do not scoop at the ball. That is the worst thing you can do. Let the loft on the club lift the ball, keep yer head down and try to see the club hit the ball.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all.

When you are saying "lead with the hands", is this hinge and hold? i.e. set the angle of your wrists in the backswing and then keep it so it doesn't break down and scoop at the ball?

Or do you not hinge your wrists in the backswing and swing back and through almost in a putting motion as Shiny mentioned?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What distance are you talking about Jocko?

too far?.....

[video=youtube;HttXJN0u5E8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HttXJN0u5E8[/video]

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
On really short chips just grip down the shaft so you have more control of the club head.... people stand too tall and then knife it across the green as they overswing then panic. (fatting, decelerating, flipping the hands etc etc).

Remember when chipping that the main goal is to find the green... how hard can it be? From there all you have to do is make a controlled swing with whichever club you've chosen.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. put the ball back in your stance. off the back foot.
2. lean some weight onto your left side. keep it there.
3. grip down sightly and move your hands also to the left. have you hands in line with your left thigh.
4. swing back and make a slightly decending blow into the ball. DO NOT SCOOP ! keep your hands ahead of the club head.

if you do this and hold the grip tight then you will hit a nice clip of a chip shot. alot of people talk about soft hands. i am practising this shot over 100 times every day at the minute. this is the best way to do it imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48PlO...eature=related

this is something similar to jim here. i have my hands slightly further forward than jim also the ball slightly further back.

try it now if you can weight on the left side is the most important part then decending blow!

i posted this before so ill post it again. i hope it helps. :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you do this and hold the grip tight then you will hit a nice clip of a chip shot. alot of people talk about soft hands. i am practising this shot over 100 times every day at the minute. this is the best way to do it imo.

there is only one situation on a golf course where 'hold the grip tight' would be appropriate, and this isn't it - obviously that's only an opinion, and you are as entitled to present yours as I am mine.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
this is a simple chip and run. you are looking to make a solid decending blow. you can hold onto the club as hard as like. soft hands / hard hands. it makes next to no difference.

i suppose the tension will stop you getting too wristy and flicking at the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
jims method of chipping is more methodical than feel. he uses a certain technique and changes the club to suit the distance of the shot. he can therefore hold the club as gently or as tightly as he wishes.