Taking Divots

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello
I'm a high handicap player just returning to the game after a break of several years. Ive treated myself to a set of custom fit irons (RBZ) s my old ones were cheap off the peg clubs. I'm well over 6 foot so I was told they were too short and were affecting my swing.
My question is regarding divots. I can't take one for some reason. I understand about hitting down onto the ball, but it seems every time I do it I end up smashing the club into the ground about 6 inches behind the ball and then the clump of turf goes further than the ball! I don't find distance a problem, if I swing within myself I carry my 7 iron 150 yards, my 5 170-180, any more than that then my fairway woods take over.
So is it worth persevering and trying to take grass each time or would I be better off sticking with how I swing now and just brushing the grass?
Thanks in advance

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Forget the notion of having to take a divot. A lot of good players pick it off the turf and as long as you are returning the club to the ball on a regular basis and finding the back of the ball then be happy. The more you try and force it the more you'll introduce more moving parts and compensations

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I take a divot I've usually hit it fat, occasionally I'll take a very small divot but mostly brushing the grass works fine for me so don't get hung up on it

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a lot worse things than not taking a divot.

For example, if you get too hung up on the whole idea, you could end up getting your weight and your posture FAR too forward, and have to spend ages sorting it out......like someone I know... ?! :(

Also, a divot is presumably a combination of factors like where your club bottoms out, where your hands are at impact (forward, level, scoop-tastic) etc....and your general steepness into the ball, and how your balance is, what's on the telly that night, if you've been eating your brussels....need I go on.

Good players mostly take a divot, and yes, it will improve the strike and spin and many things, but searching for it could bring more problems than rewards.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
In slow motion...... club behind the ball, hands forward (lean the club towards the target) so your left hand is just about in front of your left thigh, turn your left hip open about 30 degrees... that is the impact position you are looking for. If the hands don't lead then you can't take a divot in front of the ball..... and you don't want to fat it do you? :)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to add to this with another question. Most of the people I see that do take divots are generally playing with a better player irons. With G.I irons coming with larger soles (and effectivily a large bounce) does this not make taking a divot harder anyway and they are designed to skid rather than dig.

Recently I have started to improve my ball striking and started to make contact with the ground after the ball. If I use my Razr X irons this usally results in bruised grass or at best a scrape mark, divots usually only come with a fat shot.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just to add to this with another question. Most of the people I see that do take divots are generally playing with a better player irons. With G.I irons generally coming with larger soles (and effectivily a large bounce) does this not make taking a divot harder anyway.

Recently I have started to improve my ball striking and started to make contact with the ground after the ball. If I use my Razr X irons this usally results in bruised grass or at best a scrape mark, divots usually only come with a fat shot.

I never had an issue taking a divot with my R7's which are GI irons.

Saying that. The sole on them is nowhere near as wide as, say, G10's or TM Superlaunch which are more SGI.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Played a new course for the first time earlier, shot 103, which was a bit dissapointing as I wanted to break 100, but for some daft course management...
Anyway I was actually hitting some small divots without trying with my wedges and 9 iron, and just sort of rubbing the turf with the rest.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good players mostly take a divot, and yes, it will improve the strike and spin and many things, but searching for it could bring more problems than rewards.

I'd say it the other way. Taking a divot is a common consequence of having a swing that gives solid strike and spin.

That said, taking divots in no guarantee of good contact and you certainly don't have to take them to be a good player.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sometimes I take a divot and sometimes I don't. It all comes down to what I'm trying to achieve with the shot. I wouldn't say that divot taking is the be all and end all holy grail. If you are hitting the ball and it's going where you want it to, then what difference will a patch of grass pinging up make?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say it the other way. Taking a divot is a common consequence of having a swing that gives solid strike and spin.

That said, taking divots in no guarantee of good contact and you certainly don't have to take them to be a good player.

Yes. Agreed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
In slow motion...... club behind the ball, hands forward (lean the club towards the target) so your left hand is just about in front of your left thigh, turn your left hip open about 30 degrees... that is the impact position you are looking for. If the hands don't lead then you can't take a divot in front of the ball..... and you don't want to fat it do you? :)

My new swing as it happens, and I am starting to take divots!