Tablet

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good afternoon all,
People were very helpful with laptop advice, now I'm after Tablet advice.

The tablet will be mine, used for photos, watching films/you tube, little bit of games.
Sky seem to be doing a decent deal on ipad 8, any pros and cons please.

Thanks

Midnight...

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amazon fire tablet should be able to do most of that and is cheap as chips.

Fire tablets are slower than a week in jail. They are cheap as chips because their design and component config is cheap as chips.

Most basic tablet I would recommend, and be remotely usable, would be something like a Lenovo Tab 8/10 or Samsung Galaxy Tab A.
Both are reasonably priced but come with at least a semi decent processor/memory config.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the budget focussed Fire tablets are a great start, if you don’t play games on it, edit photos/videos or do anything other than browsing and watching.

If you have any other Apple device then a second hand iPad Pro or recent ish iPad or even new ones I would highly recommend, last ages and run really well.

If you don’t have any other Apple devices then avoid Apple tablets, there is no benefit for you. Buy a Samsung, still not as good as Apple but far better value for money.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate,
What I'm after is a decent enough screen, big enough to watch something, poss photo and video use, you tube and play the odd game from a store.
I don't have any apple devices, but thought of them as people have raved about them before.
What Samsung or equivalent would you go for?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mate,
What I'm after is a decent enough screen, big enough to watch something, poss photo and video use, you tube and play the odd game from a store.
I don't have any apple devices, but thought of them as people have raved about them before.

Samsung Tab A 10.1 would be at the lower end but will do what you want and do it well. Tab S is their higher end range and is a bit more singing & dancing and the price reflects that.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mate,

if you are not into the Apple Garden then Samsung, Huwaei tablets will do the job... If you can hold off till Black Friday/Cyber Monday, then look out for deals then.
Fire is a good entry level, but not everything is available on Fire...

Surprisingly the new iPads were on sale during Prime... (fairly unusual)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I bought a personal Xiaomi phone for about half the price of a better equipped on paper Samsung phone I got from work at the same time. And the Xiaomi is much better than the Samsung in just about every regards, battery life, screen, speed. I'm sure they do tablets so don't be afraid of trying a Chinese brand like them. And they only be spying on you at the weekend, not in the week.;)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprisingly the new iPads were on sale during Prime... (fairly unusual)

Ipad pro was not on sale.
I would look at the sky mobile site to see which of their deals is best (Sky do some cracking deals!, just watch though, some of the tablet deals are 36 or even 48 month finance) But the site is jammed as its new iPhone order day!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy tablets. Mine is 4 years old. Never miss a beat, hold charge for ages and perfect for youtube, Netflix etc.
You can also fit an sd card to expand the memory, not sure that is possible with a MUCH more expensive iPad.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Samsung Tab A 10.1 would be at the lower end but will do what you want and do it well. Tab S is their higher end range and is a bit more singing & dancing and the price reflects that.
I have the Samsung Tab A and my missus has the iPad 2019. Both decent tablets for what you need but the Samsung does all I need at a lower price than the iPad.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the Samsung Tab A and my missus has the iPad 2019. Both decent tablets for what you need but the Samsung does all I need at a lower price than the iPad.

Apple is just over priced poser gear. Has been since the late 90s, a status symbol that represents low performance to power.

Thing is, they have gotten so good at it that Apple users will swear dead that its better gear. Now that's impressive marketing.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Apple is just over priced poser gear. Has been since the late 90s, a status symbol that represents low performance to power.

Thing is, they have gotten so good at it that Apple users will swear dead that its better gear. Now that's impressive marketing.
I'm not an Apple fan at all, and recently changed my work phone for a Samsung from an iPhone. I hate the restrictions that Apple put on you and agree you pay a lot for the name. My personal phone is a Moto G7 Power which I prefer to the iPhone.
But.... For my other half I wanted something that would run smoothly and reliably. The regular updates help and in fairness to the iPad, it's a nice piece of kit. Actually it's overpriced and overspecced for what she needs but it did save me a lot of earache! ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a Samsung galaxy Tab A - it does all the things you say you want . I dont watch Netflix but its great for TV generally - if HID wants to watch something on the telly, I'm quite content watching golf or football on the tablet. Ok its only tablet size (10inch across the diagonal) but its fine for me. I think they come in with options for a microSD card or without. Go for the one with.

3-off-the-tee

Visit site
I bought the mrs a Kindle Fire 10 as a replacement for her ageing I-pad last year. Took a bit of a gamble on it but it was reduced before Christmas to just under £100 in Curry’s.

We only really use it for watching TV/Films and the odd bit of browsing/shopping but we are very impressed with it. Picture and sound quality is great to the point where sometimes we will sit and watch it in bed instead of sticking the TV on!