Swinley Forest - 31 Oct 15

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the pleasure of playing Swinley Forest again last week. It is a "national treasure" of a golf course, little changed over the past century. Colt called it his "least bad work". It looks like there is more going on here over the past year and the next coupe than maybe the previous 100 - lengthening tees, adding bunkers, cutting back foliage like rhododendrons and renovating the greens with hundreds of tons of sand. All welcome changes and they will not detract from the beauty and charm that this course has in spades. unfortunately it had been wet - a theme continued this week - and it was dull so the pictures do not do it justice - be nice to do the same exercise in May/June when the rhododendrons are in flower. The course used to be around 6,050 yards from memory - maybe 6,080 when 15 was a par 5 a few years ago. It is now lengthened to 6249 from the Blue championship tees. At a par 68, this course is no pushover and lots of long par 4s - SSS 70 off the blue and 69 off the white from 5,761 yards. Not that standard scratch means much for the members on the one day a year they have a comp!! There are five par 3s and they must rank as one of the best set of one-shotters in the country, with only one par 5 (5), although they are putting a new back tee in on 15 next year to return that to a par 5 - very welcome as it is a beast of an uphill 450-yarder, but stunningly beautiful. Unfortunately it looks there is a 2mb file-size limit so only around one-third of the photos are uploaded - one day I may learn how to make them smaller - but then again, Richart may buy a mobile!!

1.jpg
2-5.jpg3-1.jpg3-2.jpg4-1.jpg5-1.jpg
6.jpg7-2.jpg8-1.jpg8-4.jpg10-2.jpg11-2.jpg12-1.jpg13-1.jpg13-2.jpg14-2.jpg14-3.jpg14-4.jpg15-3.jpg16-2.jpg17-2.jpg18-3.jpg18-4.jpgIMG_0142.jpg

Attachments

• Artisans Bar Prices!.jpg
    Artisans Bar Prices!.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 150
D

Deleted member 17920

Awesome pics, thanks for posting, would be good to get a forum meet there one day.

Love the bar prices, most golf clubs haven't seen those prices for over 15 years.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had the pleasure of playing Swinley Forest again last week. It is a "national treasure" of a golf course, little changed over the past century. Colt called it his "least bad work".... There are five par 3s and they must rank as one of the best set of one-shotters in the country,...

Gem of a course and, imo, has the best set of Par 3s anywhere!

I used to play it 3-5 times a year and it was always a pleasure to do so!

Not sure whether the 'new back tees' wouldn't detract slightly from my particular perspective - though there is always the option to go off forward ones. It certainly needs a little lengthening in places, but one of the positive aspects of its relatively short length was/is the fact that 2 rounds in the day (with an excellent lunch) is do-able and not too much of a slog!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not sure whether the 'new back tees' wouldn't detract slightly from my particular perspective - though there is always the option to go off forward ones. It certainly needs a little lengthening in places, but one of the positive aspects of its relatively short length was/is the fact that 2 rounds in the day (with an excellent lunch) is do-able and not too much of a slog!

Stroke index says it all. This is not an easy course to score well on - 5,761 off the whites and 1 harder than par!! Just rolling with the times on length and making like tougher for those that want a longer course.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A few extra yards (if you want them) won't affect the ability to eat spotted dick and custard and a bottle of red at half time :D

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I been lucky enough to have played there many times and ............................ the food!!
A fabulous course that has an undescibable prescence about it, quite remarkable.

Slime.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I been lucky enough to have played there many times and ............................ the food!!
A fabulous course that has an undescibable prescence about it, quite remarkable.

Slime.

Well observed - there are about ten or so courses that I have played that have something intangible extra (beauty, ambiance, mood, views, presence, the x factor etc) that elevate them above others and elevate the overall experience

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's probably the only course I'm happy to play badly on because the joy is in being there, the golf is a bonus.

Slime.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's probably the only course I'm happy to play badly on because the joy is in being there, the golf is a bonus.

Slime.

That pretty much sums up my view on several/many/most courses!

Though particularly applicable to Swinley!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You seemed to have had an air shot on picture 9 Paul.:eek:

Cracking course, and can't wait to play again next year.:thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

People talk about all the great lunches at clubs around the Surrey area but I'd say Swinley is the best I've had :thup: