Swing video - short game

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Here are two videos (available in HD for your viewing pleasure :D) I took today, one a longer pitch, one short.

When I developed the shanks last year my pro told me I was coming way inside and worked on taking the club away more vertically, which to me it feels like I do. This video tells a different story!

Also more leg movement than I felt I had...!

Any tips welcome...

Short pitch -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFaA-27wuw

Longer pitch -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl-gIRtvrko

Thanks to any who look!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Would a more upright swing help to keep the club face from fanning? I'm working on strengthening the right hand (the V current points towards the left shoulder), my pro said that would help to keep the face where I want it to be.

And I tend to pick every club, I rarely take a divot with any club. :/

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would a more upright swing help to keep the club face from fanning? I'm working on strengthening the right hand (the V current points towards the left shoulder), my pro said that would help to keep the face where I want it to be.

And I tend to pick every club, I rarely take a divot with any club. :/

Did you mean right shoulder?

I'd rather see you take a divot, especially when pitching

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Did you mean right shoulder?

I'd rather see you take a divot, especially when pitching

No, my right hand V points to the left. I weakened my grip from a ridiculously over-strong grip when I first took lessons and now he wants me to strengthen my right hand up a touch back to a more neutral position. He said having such a weak right hand would lead to me opening the club face on the backswing and having to save it at impact.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with him.
If your V is pointing at your left shoulder, you're making it more difficult for your self and will cause shanks

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
is it recommended to take the club inside like that. for those kind of pitches I sometimes use a lot more of an out to in swing cutting across the ball.

watch this from 2.50

[video=youtube;GXIo8jj3cl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIo8jj3cl0[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No problems with that.
What Kelfire is doing is rolling his wrists.
KF, try and keep your right thumb on top of the shaft for the first 3 feet of the swing then hinge your thumb towards your right ear

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
would I be right in thinking he is risking the leading edge digging into the ground with that action?

I would say that if KFs right hand is very weak the there is a good chance the club face will be open at impact, increasing the bounce meaning the leading edge would miss the ground altogether which is why he doesn't take any divots