swing update vid - comments welcome

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
I'm quite happy with my swing in general and I'm hitting it far more consistently now than ever before (cheers JO!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WezgmOh-BWM (PW - DTL - sorry for dark video)

BUT... something doesn't seem or feel right on the follow through...

- it feels like my right hip thrusts forward/out a bit
- it feels like I lose my spine angle a bit after impact
- it feels like my right shoulder is pushing my head up too soon

Am I early extending here? Any hints/drills to help with this, if its the problem?

I'm sure there are other issues too (hopefully minor).

Comments / critique welcome :)

Thanks

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rob, go and put your carp gear back on and go stir crazy waiting for a beep on the bite alarm ;)

tumblr_mf81626Cvt1rruyvzo1_500.jpg

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Looks like your simply too far from the ball especially for a wedge.

Stand a bit closer so the backswing path steepens a touch and the hands work closer to the body in the downswing instead of being thrown out to the ball and getting you off balance.

Actually here's a vid...

[video=youtube;uE3oY5GUZF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE3oY5GUZF0[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks like your simply too far from the ball especially for a wedge.

Stand a bit closer so the backswing path steepens a touch and the hands work closer to the body in the downswing instead of being thrown out to the ball and getting you off balance.

Actually here's a vid...

[video=youtube;uE3oY5GUZF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE3oY5GUZF0[/video]

i tried standing as close as tiger today at the range and hit 3 shanks !! :eek:

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
im no pro so don't listen to what I say....

looks like a nice back swing, nice pace, however your right knee moves quite a bit, this is something I was having issues with, I was losing power, something to do with being like a spring/coil. try and keep it firm...

Again, don't listen to me I'm not a pro :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You flick the club up with wrists - observation, not criticism but it can lead to balance issues.

Through impact you seem (hard to tell from dtl view) to be balanced behind the ball/on the back foot, or at least less forward than would be expected.

Agree with the proximity to ball/hand height comment. Look at the huge difference in shaft angle between address and impact. Standing closer/hands higher (a touch as James posted) should help that, and make back-swing less prone to variation.

Usual disclaimer applies!:D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That might happen if you can't stop your arms flying away from your body, that's why you have to make the plane steeper. Or you want to fix something.. or you don't :p

would it make much of a difference with a 9 iron. it was the closest i had to a wedge. i spaced it out using my foot and a wee touch more.

i watch it and try again

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The distance to the ball should change with every club as the shafts are different lengths, it's all too easy to stand too far away from the ball then lower the hands or bend the knees or even reach out too much to try to 'get' to the ball. All these things will lend themselves to a flat or weak swing with balance issues. So many swings can be made a lot better just by getting the set up correct every time... then just swinging. Obviously it's not easy and repetition plays a big part in getting used to things. I've heard of people just practicing their pre-shot routine hundreds of times without even getting to the point of swinging the club.

(still waiting for that other video from you........) :mmm:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
makes sense really as you can practice set up anywhere. i tried with a 56 there and it was a little easier due to the club being shorter as you say.

ive always been amazed at how steep the pros get with even a short wedge shot.

[video=youtube;XcU7X4dn864]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcU7X4dn864[/video]