Swing speeds and balls

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I see on the two threads talking about the premium balls that some mention not being able to play with balls like a Penta or Pro-v1 due to not having fast enough swing speeds.

How do you know which ball is actually best for your swing speed.

I am unsure what my driver swing speed is but from a recent iron fitting i know that it is averaging about 83-84mph.

I myself play either Srixon Soft Feel or Ad333 at the minute. Dont notice much of a difference in them both short game and feel wise but find the Ad333 slightly longer.

On these 2 balls boxes it says Soft Feel suitable for Swing speeds of 70mph and Ad333 for 80mph.

How would you then know which premium ball to use come the better weather, the 2 Srixon balls for me tend to run on even now unless the green is softish and it comes down steep.

NB. Should have put this in Ask the Experts but too late now, so apologies in advance to mods.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some people with slower swing speeds get on well with premium balls and love them, but the problem as I see it is this...

The ball has different layers, and each one is designed to be compressed at a different swing speed. Just as an example let's say the least spinny layer at 105mph and the most spinny layer at 80mph.

For a pro that is fine because they'll be compressing the least spinny layer with their driver, and the most spinny one with their wedges. But...

I guess you can see where this is going...

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most premium balls come in 2 versions like ProV1 and ProV1x and as I understand it the x version is generally designed for faster club speed for the reasons explained by Region. I don't swing fast (77 mph according to Mizuno DNA) and my pro said ProV1 is fine but not to bother with the ProV1x. I have tried the ProV1x and definately didn't hit it as far as the ProV1.

I would say buy a sleeve each of the different versions of the ball you like and just try them.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
I've read this with interest and thought I would have a look at the Titleist ball fitting section on their website. They state on there that no matter what ball you are hitting there will be no more than 5 yds difference across their range. That says to me that they are fitting the ball more for the spin generated to increase accuracy rather than distance achieved.