Swing critique

Blackdog67

Hacker
Visit site
Okay guys, I plucked up the courage to video my swing at the range yetserday and share it with you for some feedback. It's not the best quality but my phone was perched rather precariously on a beam.

I am a golf novice and would value some constructive criticism of my golf swing. I have wanted to get into golf for a long while but with family commitments haven't had time but now my kids are grown up it's time to give it a go.

I am not a big hitter and I also don’t feel that I am getting the height (launch angle) I would like (particularly with my irons) and feel that maybe this could be improved with improved technique. I used to slice a lot but recently have changed to a stronger grip which has helped reduce the number of sliced shots.

My driver is a John Letters T9+ 13° with a regular flex graphite shaft.

Any advice or observations based on my swing video would be greatly appreciated.

[video=youtube_share;kXgl9Dkq2gY]https://youtu.be/kXgl9Dkq2gY[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First thing I would do is try not to grip so much at the end. Grip down an inch or so.

There are a million videos on posture on YouTube. the coach will most likely put up his favourites for you.

Swing is mostly arms and no weight transfer at all.

At your stage you really would benefit most from getting a lesson or two. get you started on the right path before you go any further. If that isn't an option then stick around, keep asking questions and keep posting vids. The first is the scariest. Good luck.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like a swing that could improve quite a lot with a few lessons.

Posture and set up first, and it looks like it doesn't have very much lower body action, rathe shouldery.

I remember someone telling me the backswing starts from the top and works it way down the body and the downswing is the reverse.

The strong grip is just really a large sticking plaster because the arms/shouldery swing is going to be a slickers swing.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not an expert but welcome to the game, I've seen worse swings on veteran players. Get a lesson to sort out your basic setup and you'll do fine. :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Untitledrth.jpg

A check on your address position would help no end.
Notice first how your knees bend, compared to Rorys and your rear end is outside your heals. (green line)
So, dont bends your knees

The yellow line shows how much you are reaching for it and the red line shows how far away your hands are from your legs.
Finally, the ball is too far away from you (blue line)

I would suggest you stand a bit taller with your knees 'soft' not bent and bring the ball a bit nearer to you, that would help

Blackdog67

Hacker
Visit site
Wow thanks for that! I wasn't expecting such detailed feedback. I am hoping to get to the range over the Christmas/New year holiday so i'll give your suggestions a try.

View attachment 17969

A check on your address position would help no end.
Notice first how your knees bend, compared to Rorys and your rear end is outside your heals. (green line)
So, dont bends your knees

The yellow line shows how much you are reaching for it and the red line shows how far away your hands are from your legs.
Finally, the ball is too far away from you (blue line)

I would suggest you stand a bit taller with your knees 'soft' not bent and bring the ball a bit nearer to you, that would help