Swing checks

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is it possible to leave the swing check advice to the Golf Monthly top 25 coach as advertised in the magazine?

I know we have 101 experts on this forum (but only our resident Bobmac's a PGA professional) so the advice could be conflicting. I'm sure if they new Tom, Dick and Harry would be disecting their swing they wouldn't have posted.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
I'm sorry, but I can't stay quiet if I think someone is being given advice that doesn't suit their particular swing pattern. I completely respect Bob's opinion and expertise, but I've studied with rotary swing teachers for a long time and feel it important that distinctions in how to swing a club are recognised.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with 23rd man here. He knows his stuff and should ask questions if he thinks something is amiss.

All this proves to me is that anyone looking for a swing analysis should go and see a pro and have some lessons. this is always going to happen on the internet!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
All I'm saying is that if no one made a comment and left it to the GM coach, then the op's would get what was advertised in the magazine.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
All I'm saying is that if no one made a comment and left it to the GM coach, then the op's would get what was advertised in the magazine.

That's very true, but from personal experience of seeing pro's who tried to change my natural swing characteristics, including how I naturally released the clubhead, set me back ages and led to much frustration. Although my handicap doesn't reflect it because I'm hampered by health issues that prevent me from playing and practicing much, my ballstriking has improved back to the level it was when I was shooting low to mid 70's before being confused by conflicting advice. Why? How? I found a pro who understood my natural tendencies.

I wish someone had come along and told me that the way I release the club is fine instead of trying to turn me into a two plane hitter before I knew the difference.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it possible to leave the swing check advice to the Golf Monthly top 25 coach as advertised in the magazine?

I know we have 101 experts on this forum (but only our resident Bobmac's a PGA professional) so the advice could be conflicting. I'm sure if they new Tom, Dick and Harry would be disecting their swing they wouldn't have posted.

I hope no-one thinks that I feel I'm the only one on the forum who should comment on swings...far from it.
As I've said many times before, there's an awful lot of knowledge in here.
Because of this there will always be different opinions to consider, its then up to the individual who he or she takes notice of....if any :)
The problem is there is more than one way to play this game well.
These days most of the young players coming through have had junior coaching, club coaching, county coaching, video analysis, swing gurus and hence many are swinging the club in a similar way.
When you think back not a lot of years before video, Nicklaus, Palmer and Trevino had 3 very different swings but all got the job done.
It is my job to help people get their own job done but keeping their swings as natural as possible.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

I hope no-one thinks that I feel I'm the only one on the forum who should comment on swings...far from it.
Because of this there will always be different opinions to consider, its then up to the individual who he or she takes notice of....if any :)
These days most of the young players coming through have had junior coaching, club coaching, county coaching, video analysis, swing gurus and hence many are swinging the club in a similar way.
When you think back not a lot of years before video, Nicklaus, Palmer and Trevino had 3 very different swings but all got the job done.
It is my job to help people get their own job done but keeping their swings as natural as possible.

I don't seem to be getting this message across very well. If you put your swing up like Homer did and ask for forum advice all well and good, thats a free for all. These people have put their swing up on the understanding that they will get advice from a GM top 25 coach not all the forum experts.

I know Neil will be looking at their swing this week, lets hope they have not lost interest before he comments.

What would you think if you put your swing up, logged on a few days later and saw conflicting advice? and non of it from the person who you wanted to look at your swing.

All I am asking is give the GM expert a chance before we scare these new people off.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro

I don't seem to be getting this message across very well. If you put your swing up like Homer did and ask for forum advice all well and good, thats a free for all. These people have put their swing up on the understanding that they will get advice from a GM top 25 coach not all the forum experts.

I know Neil will be looking at their swing this week, lets hope they have not lost interest before he comments.

What would you think if you put your swing up, logged on a few days later and saw conflicting advice? and non of it from the person who you wanted to look at your swing.

All I am asking is give the GM expert a chance before we scare these new people off.

Fair point. :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've been here a month at least and haven't seen a post from a top 25 coach yet, in fact WHAT IS a top 25 coach and why aren't the other 24 posting?

You don't need a top 25 coach of anything to analyse swings unless the swing is so near perfect that they can spot something a mere mortal would miss.

There are plently of people here capable of offering advice, if it was wrong I'm sure someone else would say so.

I find that the proof is in the pictures and ultimately it's down to the poster to decide what advice they would follow. You don't have to be PGA qualified to show someone they're swinging from the inside/outside or their clubface is closed if there's a picture of it! :)

For what it's worth they could use the forum software tools to make a seperate area where literally ONLY the top coaches could post replies. :)

Just my opinion of course.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Cool...a test.

Do I get PGA qualified if I pass? :D

IF someone was posting it for a review (which they are not) and no-one else had answered (which they haven't) and I was asked to review this swing purely on the merits of what I could see in the blurry sillouette of darkness....

The overall swing looks pretty good, general posture and plane aren't too bad. It LOOKS like the guy has his weight on his heels, his right foot is still basically at the address position on impact and the follow through is very steep just to stop him falling backwards.

I would prob post a pic with a vertical line dropped down from the back of his shoulder and see where it falls (Shoulders knees balls of feet.. etc) but I'd map it out on my PC first just to check!!!!

It also looks like he doesn't transfer his weight through to the left hand side properly, rather falls off the shot so I'd ask him to post a vid from the front if possible.

I'd also ask the guy about his grip. The way he puts his hand onto the grip looks like he might have a weak right hand grip..possibly left too.

It does look like a pretty solid swing, especially BEFORE he hits the ball...anyway, he's 50 so he'll be dead soon ;)<big wink>