Swing changes...

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yesterday I had a lesson. We had a big overhaul of my grip(was crazy strong) body turn, takeaway, downswing and alignment. All led to a better strike and not a push and low ball flight which I’ve played with for years ( I thought it was a slice) it felt weird and horrible but mid to end of the lesson was hitting some nice ones certainly a lot higher ball flight and able to start at target rather than left of it. Went out for 18after with a mate hit some good and a few rough which was expected, but felt happy overall with things and he even commented on my better ball flight.
Today I had my match play singles both off same hc so was a scratch shootout.
All was going well apart from driver which we didn’t work on so I started to flick between clubs off the tee. I started to lose holes and went from 3 up to AS then started thinning my irons. I basically panicked my new swing thoughts wasn’t good enough under pressure so reverted back to what a knew and I could count on the miss a bit more.
I went on to win 2up which I was happy to manage to regroup and go again but wondering should I of persevered with it or keep it off the course until I feel it’s more ingrained? Afterwards my opponent said he noticed i completely changed grip etc midway round.
Got a medal this week now not sure do I just go with the all the new stuff or try and phase it in when it feels more natural? It’s not something I want to give up on but on the other hand don’t want my hc to go up and up whilst I try and get it nailed on.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did a pretty big swing change during the winter, starting in October and settling in the final bits in March, and I'm just now starting to play without the positions feeling overly mechanical. I tried (and mananged) to never revert to the old swing when playing

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I did a pretty big swing change during the winter, starting in October and settling in the final bits in March, and I'm just now starting to play without the positions feeling overly mechanical. I tried (and mananged) to never revert to the old swing when playing

Do you feel like it’s improved your game significantly Chris?

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didn’t plan on it but guess I just didn’t want to get dumped out In round one... I’ll stick with it in the medal this weekend then. I’m planning on going range as much as possible to get it all feeling more fluid

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn’t plan on it but guess I just didn’t want to get dumped out In round one... I’ll stick with it in the medal this weekend then. I’m planning on going range as much as possible to get it all feeling more fluid

It'll take time Connor but if you know the changes are right then best you stick with them, even at my age the long term gain is preferable.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wish Duncan!

Played 9 holes this morning in 2 over so it's getting better, hitting much more accurately with the irons but just cocking up one or two holes a round in comps.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would never go straight on the course after a lesson, especially if it involves big changes. I would have had a couple of range sessions to get the confidence up. If the OP was still struggling as he indicates I'd go back to the pro and ask for more advice/help and ask him to have a look at what you are doing in case you are misinterpreting or have added another flaw

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would never go straight on the course after a lesson, especially if it involves big changes. I would have had a couple of range sessions to get the confidence up. If the OP was still struggling as he indicates I'd go back to the pro and ask for more advice/help and ask him to have a look at what you are doing in case you are misinterpreting or have added another flaw

Totally. A big change requires time to bed in and you may not be doing what you think ur doing so go back to the pro. Ask yourself are you going to get any better working with your old swing? If you really want to improve then it won’t come easy but with determination you’ll get there and it’ll be all the sweeter for it.

Problem is you won’t be happy then either

Welcome to Golf 🙈

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Best way to get a new grip feeling comfortable is to leave a club about the house, when ever you walk past it grab it. Will speed up the process over moving away from a strong grip
I agree. I bought one of these and put it on an old club and simply held the club watching the TV etc. It's amazing how quickly it feels normal

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
That seems like alot of points to cover in one lesson and then incorporate immediately!? Like any lessons and big change you've got work ahead to make it worthwhile,if you fully commit the benefits will come,but not tomorrow!!Ive got a mate who gets lessons every few mths "to keep me in the groove" but does he practice to bed in the changes? Pfft if only! He's been off 18 forever with no sign of improvement , don't know why he bothers🤔