swing analysis software for ipad.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Swing analysis software for ipad.

After my failed experiment with the V1 golf app for ipads, I have now down loaded GASP instead. The problem with V1 was that it compressed any video files so much they were next to useless once imported. I have emailed V1 golf to see if the problem is of my own making, and they seem to think that the product is fine as it is. They are wrong, it is useless. Strangely, I was talking to my club pro last night, and he was raving about it, saying how good it was. He was using the ipad's camera, which really doesn't do much for me. Each to their own I guess. The tools in V1 are very easy to access, and the software is easy to navigate around, it just over compresses the files.

The files I am importing are .MOV files, shot on a Casio digital camera at 240 fps. The size is about 10 Mb.

So to GASP. This is undoubtedly more cumbersome to use, and has taken me a short while to get to grips with it. Files can be imported from file, or shot on the ipad's camera. I have opted to import from file. (the camera icon, then import from file). Once again, it does compress the file, but not nearly as much as V1. I am then left with something which is useable, but still not in 240 fps. The file will play relatively smoothly, and can be paused, and then advanced step by step using ffw and rwd. Alternatively, there is a slider across the bottom of the picture which you can run your finger along. Similar to V1, but at least I can see a picture, and stop it at impact. This might be due to my glacial swing speed though. When I tried this with Martin Kaymers swing (from the library) this frame was missing, and he went from just before impact to way past in one frame (which was what V1 was doing, only more so).

The tools are accessible on the right hand side. These are fairly comprehensive. Usual stuff, lines circles, eraser (which seems to erase chronologically, rather than by selection). With the tool icon dismissed, some of the tools remain along the bottom of the screen. With these showing, the only way to advance the video is to drag your finger vertically down the screen. This is not intuitive at first.

Other items hidden in the tools menu are save (important, as the imported file is not saved until you save it), home, play (which takes you back to the screen where you could play the video, and gets rid of the tools along the bottom of the screen). Also here is the split screen / compare feature.

Included with the software are a few professionals swings, but not that many, and not shot at the same fps as those examples in V1. There are also some tips, which might be interesting, but they are filed under the coaches name, so there are two from Mark Crossfield for instance. The way they are filed makes looking for a particular swing detail, (like lag) difficult to find (if there is one).

As an aside, I was looking at the Mark Crossfield tip about hip movement in the down swing. He is doing what I was doing, and am now trying to eliminate. You would have thought there was one PGA taught golf swing, and that PGA pro's would teach essentially the same swing. I had similar this weekend chatting to my assistant pro. He was watching me hitting balls, and then making a few comments, which were completely opposite to what I am being taught in my lessons. Odd, and not a little confusing.

For me, GASP is better than V1 (but less intuitive to use), but the file compression is still annoying, and I wish it didn't do it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know I could look, but ....

On the free v1 software on my pc, you can view your own (or a pro) swing, but not do the side by side comparison. Is GASP the same (I assume you have a free version, but perhaps I'm just thinking that everyone else is as tight as me...)

d