Swing advice please - video

ScottishDave

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I have started playing golf again this year after not playing it seriously since I was in my late teens (now mid 30's).

I seem to hit a lot of good shots but when I hit a bad one it is generally, really bad i.e a complete shank.

I have taken a video of my swing on one of the occasions that I have shanked it and noticed that my swing seems to be on the correct plane on the backswing but on the downswing I seem to go onto an 'out' path which appears to be delivering the heel of the club first, causing the shank.

Can any of you more knowledgeable people have a look at my video and see if what I am thinking is correct and offer any advice on how to correct it. I have tried myself to change my downswing to a more inside path but I cannot seem to get it.

Cheers

[video=youtube;K3Ck7fTUsDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Ck7fTUsDg&hd=1[/video]

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's a really decent video you have there.... watch the little forward loop your right elbow does at the top of the swing... try and feel it staying back and/or tucking into your ribs a little more on the downswing. You lower body should turn a little before you start to drop the club into the downswing.. you're trying to get the club down to the ball a little early (before you've started your hip turn).

Last edited:

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks.

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas/tips/drills on how to correct it. I can't seem to get it.

Cheers

One drill at a range is to align yourself at some target on the range (using club on teh ground or equivalent), then on downswing, try and push your shot to the right of target each time.
Typically for out-to-in, you will start to hit the ball better (as on better downswing plane), balls will start flying straight, some to the right (i.e. not all will be right even though that is what you are trying to do. Would suggest trying this for a few sessions as an overcompensation for the out-to-in current swingpath to 'train' your downswing to be more in-to-out.
WOrth a try anyway.

ScottishDave

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Will it a try.

It's ridiculous the amount of stuff I have to try and remember on the downswing. Hope this all becomes natural at some point ;)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look for mark crossfield on YouTube he has a new video to do with out to in swing by focussing on club head exit point. It makes a lot of sense

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing to remember is that there is a difference between coming from the inside and being flat and too on the inside.

I made this mistake and spent 2 weeks doing the unmentionables!

ScottishDave

Medal Winner
Visit site
Look for mark crossfield on YouTube he has a new video to do with out to in swing by focussing on club head exit point. It makes a lot of sense

Do you mean this one?

[video=youtube;GGKjaXJJRwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKjaXJJRwo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you look at your video, at the halfway back position your clubface is wide open. It stays wide open through the rest of the swing, look where it is at the top, the clubface is pointing straight down. You do have an out to in swing path but keeping the clubface wide open is the main reason you are getting the 'Shermans'

ScottishDave

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well spotted - thanks.

I had a lesson a few weeks ago and showed the Pro a few of my shanks. He said I needed to cross my right hand more over the top of my left hand during impact. I guess this was him trying to correct my open club face.

I wonder why he didn't try and correct it on my back swing as well?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
apart from whats been said above, you do tend to roll the wrists open in the first few feet, keep the face square (like a feeling of hooding the face but your not hooding it) will also help