Sustainability

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who uses most is quite complex, there are a very large number of vehicles doing a small amount of travel and a smaller number doing a large amount. There is also the complexity of a heavy vehicle doing many miles but on larger tyres. I guess someone understands these equations.

The question of who makes or influences you to do the miles is also rather complex, individual preferences come into play and I guess the way commercial forces affect our preferences. Probably one for the data miners.

I'm not clear what you mean when you say road surface will dictate the wear you have, surely that is a bit of a variable, well it certainly seems like it when driving on Herefordshire's roads ?
So we measure roads roughness, you have macro measurements which is about the openess of the surface and micro which is about the matrix and cross reference with the lateral g and braking/traction

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There was an article in autocar mentioning a company called analytics.. but dare I say it, felt like a panic mongering with some output numbers. But it does need to be measured and urban areas really are the key areas.
What people don’t really know is that classification of tyres is at 25 degrees c and as the temp drops it gets worse so it’s highly likely the wear rate is worse.

But then you can have winter tyres, and from my experience, wear in these at temperatures above what they are designed for is crazy.

Tarmac isn't just tarmac. Some roads are really smooth, and grippy, some are rougher than a badgers bottom. Which are better for tyre wear? No idea.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But then you can have winter tyres, and from my experience, wear in these at temperatures above what they are designed for is crazy.

Tarmac isn't just tarmac. Some roads are really smooth, and grippy, some are rougher than a badgers bottom. Which are better for tyre wear? No idea.
Actually they are pretty bad full stop but better than a summer tyre at less than 5 degrees C.
There is no work on road surfaces currently, it has clearly been thrown in the lap of the tyre suppliers. The problem is not just with the tyres though it’s all the things associated with the tyre .. the tyre would not wear if the vehicle was lighter, the roads smoother, the throttle responses were managed etc ... and that is my gripe, I see too much finger pointing and not enough common sense.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Depoliticise the debate and talk sensible use of scarce resources....

Even on simple level... why is there New Zealand lamb in Tesco in Chepstow, when 7 miles away, I'm looking out of a window at fields full of sheep.

Couple of nights ago a big piece on the news about deforestation of the Amazon. But there was nothing about what to stop buying to slow it down.

In answer the OP question, yes I would accept some restrictions, provided it was managed properly and equitably

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to tyres I am just about to replace all 4 on a car purchased in September. Two only really need to be replaced but one of the ones fitted is nearly new but after reading up about it's performance that one has to go (Replacing the 4th just so they are all the same).

Last car I bought had one brand new tyre on fitted by the garage selling me the car and it only did about 8k miles before needing to be replaced.

I know the premium brand I will be fitting (Bridgestone) cost about 20% more but I expect not only to feel more assured about their safety but also about their longevity.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Back when I was 25, I used to get 3k miles out of a set of Pirelli Pzeros. My worst year for mileage, I did 54k miles in the car.
I couldn't afford that now. Not sure I really could then either.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ought to post the subjective scale of performance. Many emotional discussions about these things, but in the end it’s the customer profile that is key to this scoring of performance.
The truth is you settle in after 15 minutes and adjust.
I will say, that the cheap brands still meet the legislative requirements. What they might not do is offer the mileage or quality. By quality this is vibrations that can be manufactured in. A knowledge about controlling and stopping it getting out the door to the customer is key.
That can all be done with sustainable tyres, but what we will see is some NVH, mileage, dynamic and ride degradation.. all of these will be at the top end of the performance demand window. Everyday stuff , you will not really notice.