sureshot gps

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had a go with mates' range finders - thunk they were the 'the caddy' and 'skycaddie' - both are good, albeit a bit pricey

I guess this one uses the same technology my thoughts are does anyone but the pros and top amateurs really know how far they hit each club because without that sort of info knowing its 175 to the front edge doesn't mean an awful lot!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree Swingstar1. I think very few amateurs are totally honest with themselves about how far they hit the ball. We're so often guilty of coming up short at a hole. I frequently find myself at the front edge having struck it well but having used one, maybe even two, clubs less than I should. The pros know exactly how far they fly it. Amateurs will stand at the range and watch an 8 iron run out to 150 yards and say, "I hit my 8 iron 150." Yes, but it only carried 130.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good point Mr Machattie. May I call you Mac? The other problem with amateurs and relatively high (though potentially very low) handicappers like myself is that we often work out our yardages by how far we hit the ball when we flush it. I hit a 7-iron 150 when I catch it as clean as a whistle but am also quite capable of chunking it 120 and thinning it nearly 180. I suppose what I should be doing is taking an average and using 7-iron from about 135. The problem, of course, is that if you catch it nicely you're over the back. More practice in order. Thanks for your time.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I have recently taken the view that i would rather hit on the back of the green or just off than come up short...again! As it is, since this slight change of heart, i have found that more often than not, especially on par3s, that a club more than i reckon at first puts me on the green. Only slight downside is the pride aspect...your mate asks what you are taking - "7-iron" they then say "oh, right...I am hitting a SW"...not nice feeling!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I tried a mates range finder and was amazed at how inaccurate 150 markers on my course were. I think they are an interesting piece of kit but certainly not essential for amateur golfers-probably not worth the investment unless your a very good player who plays big events at different courses.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was lucky enough to get a Bushnell Pinseeker rangefinder as a pressie over a year ago. Just point at the pin, the laser bounces off it and, hey presto, exact yardage. Great gadget..especially if you're playing an away course with friends.

It does prove that the yardage markers on most courses(and especially the tees) are way off... and if you practice with it on the range to determine your own actual carry then it can be helpful.

Has certainly helped me knock a few strokes off a lot of rounds at courses I haven't played before. Let's face it we all know that feeling of flushing one on a strange par three, thinking that it's gonna land right next to the pin, only for your best shot of the day to land twenty yards long (or more likely short) thanks to the fact that the tee box said 150 yards when actually it had been moved 20 yards forward from the medal tee.

And you know what...it makes you swing better when you're confident in the yardage...all for the price of a new driver which (according to the experts in these matters) won't save you a stroke !

derekrolle

Visit site
I use the Skycaddie SG3 and once you play with it, it is the bomb. It is the next best thing to having a caddy. Rangefinders are nice, but I have a heck of a time lining up the crosshairs on the flag after a night of drinking.