Suggest me a wedge grind

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to get my Sand and Lob G20 wedges custom ground by Ping.Can anyone suggest which grind would be suitable? Basically I want to be able to open the club up in bunkers and round the green,generally play parkland courses and more of a sweeper.

Scroll down to the bottom for the wedge grinds.

http://www.ping.com/uploadedFiles/clubs/customize/PING_Custom_Options.pdf

p.s Ping really do offer fantastic aftersales!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Interesting thread, is this available as an aftersales service or only at time of purchase? I've got a Tour S which I'm not using as I can't get on with the bounce so could look at getting it ground.

As for your question, you should be looking at one of the higher bounce options if you play mostly parkland courses.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the bounce on the G20 sand and lob is 12 degrees,I want a grind that makes it a versatile wedge which can be opened up,the G20 is a great wedge but you struggle to open it up in bunkers hence why I want a custom grind.

Any yes the grinds can be done aftermarket as just off the phone with them

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thanks for that shewy, I'll give them a call to see if I can get mine done.

Sounds to me like you need a bit ground of the back of the sole to allow you to open it up, maybe look at the B or T grinds?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Am I right in thinking you want to reduce the bounce on your SW and LW because you struggle to get out of bunkers when you open the face?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure Bob,the G20 does not want to open up it just wants to sit square. I genrally open up my stance and play the ball off my left foot and with the club open in a bunker and pop it out,the G20 does not do that very well,never had a problem before with Cleveland wedges but the G20 is much more forgiving round the greens and on full shots.The SW is 54 degrees and good for longer bunker shots and the 58 should be good for shorter ones,with the right gring of course.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shewy - how much do they charge for the grind ? I want to do teh same with my 58 to give me some more option in bunkers, and off tight lies

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally, I think you are doing things the wrong way around.

Do you have problems with your wedges currently? If so, then what is causing it?

It's quite possible that a grind will actually cause more problems than it will solve!

However, something with some heel relief (H, L etc) tends to help someone who opens the face.

Did get my Miuras ground ('C' on the 52 and 60) but current wedges seem to work well for me with no adjustment. :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Grinds on wedges are very personal things - much like putters
What will work for one may not work for another, even with similar swings, courses etc.
Asking "what grind will work for me is a bit like asking which shaft works for me...."

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the wedges,just that the sole is super thick and you can't open it up,my short game is fine,just want a more versatile wedge and like the G20 as they are uber forgiving.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Do you need "forgiveness" when you're opening up the face? If this is on chips and short pitches then forgiveness isn't in the equation. If it's a fullish shot then forgiveness comes in but then you wouldn't be opening the face much....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm assuming your LW is around 60 deg. How much loft do you need?
I would suggest you have a lesson on your wedges because if you cant get out of a bunker with your LW, there's something wrong with your technique. Why not try one of your other 3 wedges and see how they go when you open them up ?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bob all my wedges are G20,the LW is 58,I can get it up and out ok but want a little more versatility.
Think I'm going for a T Grind as I want to keep the bounce.

DCB

Visit site
I think you're going to ruin a perfectly good wedge doing this. Modern thinking on bunker shots is not the open face of years back. It's about using the bounce that is inbuilt to the club. Look at the number of Pros who now play off a normal stance rather than open stance.

You need to get your technique right using this club that's all. Either that or get a wedge that suits your style of play better.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you're going to ruin a perfectly good wedge doing this. Modern thinking on bunker shots is not the open face of years back. It's about using the bounce that is inbuilt to the club. Look at the number of Pros who now play off a normal stance rather than open stance.

You need to get your technique right using this club that's all. Either that or get a wedge that suits your style of play better.

Most pro's still teach the open face and aim left approach,I know Bob does