submitting general play score

Yogidog1

Visit site
Hi can someone please advise on submitting a general play score,a friend says you can have a score put in even if it is a solo round ?I said someone has to play with him to make sure his score is legal ,tell me I am right please ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hi can someone please advise on submitting a general play score,a friend says you can have a score put in even if it is a solo round ?I said someone has to play with him to make sure his score is legal ,tell me I am right please ?
You're right.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They don't have to actually play, just to testify to your score. Many Clubs require that the marker has to be 'acceptable' to the committee.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
wow! You don't have to have someone with you to make sure you've played by the rules? So you could just turn up at the club, sit in the bar, add scores in every 15 mins then go home and get a mate to confirm? And this is the way forward? Utterly bonkers.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yea as said you need someone with you

Also note well in my club. During non comp days the tees are all pushed way up and the slope index for the course reflex that..so say a general play on a weekend of 79 be like a 76 during the week

So kind of pointless imo

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Yea as said you need someone with you

Also note well in my club. During non comp days the tees are all pushed way up and the slope index for the course reflex that..so say a general play on a weekend of 79 be like a 76 during the week

So kind of pointless imo
How does that work? They can’t change the CR/slope based on position of the tee markers?

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
wow! You don't have to have someone with you to make sure you've played by the rules? So you could just turn up at the club, sit in the bar, add scores in every 15 mins then go home and get a mate to confirm? And this is the way forward? Utterly bonkers.
We have had a few at our club that we have suspected are at it. He came to our club playing off roughly 6 then managed to get to +2 playing with his father all the time. He soon left after it was mentioned.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have had a few at our club that we have suspected are at it. He came to our club playing off roughly 6 then managed to get to +2 playing with his father all the time. He soon left after it was mentioned.
I can see the point of increasing your handicap….not sure of the advantages of lowering it to a level you can’t manage…..what am I missing?

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheating was rife when I was in the Middle East. Under the USGA system you can do just that and have someone else verify if for you. This was rife in Abu Dhabi and practised a lot by the Koreans. Eventually the were banned from the club after a pair of them entered comps with handicaps of 24 and 25 and both returning gross scores of 88 and 85 respectively. I agree this is always possible to play your socks off but this was regular behaviour over 6 months or so. Members started refusing to play with them or against them in matches and it snowballed from there….

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see the point of increasing your handicap….not sure of the advantages of lowering it to a level you can’t manage…..what am I missing?
Based on past responses it is a mixture of ego and enabling them to qualify for handicap restricted comps at nicer courses.

I'm with you, it makes no sense as you will only embarrass yourself but people are strange and do strange things 🤷‍♂️

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A very low handicap can get you in to prestigious events at top courses.

A few years ago we had one player who only ever played in these and never played in anything else. He never played anywhere near his handicap. We put a stop to it by increasing his handicap under the annual review to something that resembled his actual scores.