striking the ball

Ray D

Visit site
Today when playing from a difficult posisition by a tree , I took the decision to stradle the ball and play it between my legs in order to get the ball into a more playable posisition . After doing this I was told by my playing partner that this was against the rules. I am now trying to find the rule that applies to this . please help with rule number if poss. thanks

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
there isn't one - your shot was legal

your playing partner was probably confusing things with rule 16-1 e which makes it a penalty (2 shots/loss of hole) for making a stroke atanding astride the line on the putting green...

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
The other rule he might be confusing this with is that you can't use an abnormal stance to obtain relief. e.g standing like that so a staked tree affects stance doesn't entitle you to relief.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice of him to tell you after you did it.

Regardless of him being wrong, I'd tell someone if I thought they were about to pick up a penalty.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice of him to tell you after you did it.

Regardless of him being wrong, I'd tell someone if I thought they were about to pick up a penalty.

I hope you'd do it in such a way that you avoid it being considered advice!

Because giving/offering advice costs YOU a penalty!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm sure I saw an interview somewhere with a rules official that said part of his duties include preventing players from incurring penalties if he sees something about to happen, as well as making decisions on things that have already happened.

I've just had a quick search for it with no joy, but did find this quote elsewhere on an enthusiasts site.

"No, information on the Rules is not advice. In fact, players are encouraged to prevent other players from breaching a Rule. It is good etiquette and helps spread knowledge of the Rules of golf."

I don't know if this was written by an amateur of lifted from somewhere official. I'll keep looking.​

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think any confusion Colin is knowing if there is a difference in answering the question "If I take an unplayable lie here, what are my options?" versus saying something like "You're in front of the tee markers and will take a penalty if you carry on" unprompted.

I've always thought it's ok to tell someone they're about to incur a penalty if they carry on with what they're doing.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i get confused sometimes by what we are supposed to do,we all seem to agree that golf is a game that should be played in a gentlemanly fashion and be friendly THEN we have a rule that states if you help a fellow player YOU can be penalised ie all square in the club knock out final,both player putting for par on the last,player A says to player B "take your time over that put" player B then calls a penalty on player A for giving advice knocks the put in a wins the game,is that in the spirit of the game or just a bad rule?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
i get confused sometimes by what we are supposed to do,we all seem to agree that golf is a game that should be played in a gentlemanly fashion and be friendly THEN we have a rule that states if you help a fellow player YOU can be penalised ie all square in the club knock out final,both player putting for par on the last,player A says to player B "take your time over that put" player B then calls a penalty on player A for giving advice knocks the put in a wins the game,is that in the spirit of the game or just a bad rule?

definitely confusion........ there is absolutely no breach of any rule in what you have set out here.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure I saw an interview somewhere with a rules official that said part of his duties include preventing players from incurring penalties if he sees something about to happen, as well as making decisions on things that have already happened.

I've just had a quick search for it with no joy, ...

34-2/3?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
is saying take your time with that put not giving advice that is in breach of the rules?

whilst it is possible to construct a situation where this was advice ie "take your time with that putt because it's not as straightforward as it might appear" it is also possible to construct a perfectly acceptable situation "take you time with that putt, we have space behind us now as they are looking for their balls"

however that's not the point I was raising...

you referenced a matchplay situation and there is no breach of rule 8-1 (Advice) in giving advice to opponents!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was TXL posted on here not so long ago that John Paramore said that "Take your time" is the most broken rule in golf, or words to that effect.

I read that but believe it was mis-contrued. The question TXL posed was what was the most common penalty on the tour - I believe the actual answer related to taking time but in the context of PoP rather than advice!
You show me one single instance of a tour player being penalised for using the phrase 'take your time' and I might contact JP to double check!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
whilst it is possible to construct a situation where this was advice i "take your time with that putt because it's not as straightforward as it might appear" it is also possible to construct a perfectly acceptable situation "take you time with that putt, we have space behind us now as they are looking for their balls"

however that's not the point I was raising...

you referenced a matchplay situation and there is no breach of rule 8-1 (Advice) in giving advice to opponents!
thanks for that but how many on these pages in the friendly banter we all use when playing have said "TAKE YOUR TIME" or "i would hit another ball" is there no leeway for this as opposed to say helping to line a putt up or telling your opponent what club/distance you have?