Strange Bunker Shot Question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing shots from the fairway I look at the ball. Fine, different colour to the grass, nice and small, easy to focus on.

Playing shots from bunkers I try to look at the spot where I want the club to hit the sand but almost without fail, as soon as I start to swing my eyes lose focus on the spot and I end up just swinging anyway and hope for the best.

Do you look at the sand or the ball when you play a bunker shot, and if it's the sand how do you focus on it!?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Playing shots from the fairway I look at the ball. Fine, different colour to the grass, nice and small, easy to focus on.

Playing shots from bunkers I try to look at the spot where I want the club to hit the sand but almost without fail, as soon as I start to swing my eyes lose focus on the spot and I end up just swinging anyway and hope for the best.

Do you look at the sand or the ball when you play a bunker shot, and if it's the sand how do you focus on it!?

i just close my eyes and hope for the best;)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try and visualize i have made a line in the sand behind the ball.
I just drive through that line.
It works for me,the ball is just in the way.
So to answer your question i look at the sand behind the ball.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

If I'm honest I'd have to say "I don't know" to both questions.
I don't feel like I'm doing either if you get what I mean...
Somehow it just happens........????????

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i just close my eyes and hope for the best;)

A promising idea. hmmm.....

I try and visualize i have made a line in the sand behind the ball.
I just drive through that line.
It works for me,the ball is just in the way.
So to answer your question i look at the sand behind the ball.

Sounds like what I try to do, but I can't seem to focus on it when I take the club away. It's a very strange feeling realising that you've started to swing but suddenly don't know where you're trying to hit!

If I'm honest I'd have to say "I don't know" to both questions.
I don't feel like I'm doing either if you get what I mean...
Somehow it just happens........????????

See the ball, be the ball. :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I absolutely focus on the ball and trust in my golfing brain to do the right thing (a potentially risky approach :() as I find that the ball actually vanishes from my conscious thought. If I try to focus on anything else I can get easily distracted as that something else does not vanish and I can sense body movement relative to that spot - and that is very bad for me as that conscious sensing of something as I swing can over-ride my golf-brain and bingo - I mess up. That probably doesn't make any sense :(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I look at the sand, and try and pick out a something in the sand to concentrate on. Never look at the ball as that is what I would hit first.:( You can usually find something distinctive in our bunkers. I assume we are talking greenside bunkers and not fairway ones.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, greenside.

Fairway bunkers I focus on the top of the ball to make sure I hit the ball first, which is why looking at the ball in a greenside bunker would make me nervous.

Having said that, I'm going to try it and trust my brain to hit the sand behind the ball. Maybe not with water on the other side of the green though!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I look at the sand, and try and pick out a something in the sand to concentrate on. Never look at the ball as that is what I would hit first.:( You can usually find something distinctive in our bunkers.

this is my approach too - but it doesn't always work as hoped for, but come to think of it I can hit the ball fat off the fairway when looking at the ball too!